You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Home Photo Printer Prints

Is your document RGB or CMYK? Your home printer uses the latter, so many of the RGB colours you see on your monitor will be ‘out of gamut’ when printing. This is particularly noticeable for bright green or orange, and yellows on screen may acquire a greenish tinge when printed.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

5 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Your home printer uses the latter,

That may be a bit confusing, Alfred, as it would seem to imply that documents for home printing should be in CMYK.

However, most home printers I have seen expect to get RGB data as input, and RGB is what Affinity will suply to them. A CMYK document would have to undergo two transformations for printing on such printers. First, from CMYK to RGB, and second from RGB to the printer's colors (which might not strictly be CMYK).

You're right that the transformation from RGB to something CMYK-like will have an effect. There will also be an effect from the differing techologies used in displaying on the screen vs printing on the paper.

The more general answer is, I think, that they will never match exactly. But with proper calibration of the display, and proper lighting in the environment, and printing using the proper device- and paper-specific printing profile, and with judicious use of Soft Proof adjustments, it can come close.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I have seen some youtube videos on soft proofing and how to view the ‘out of gamut’ colors .  However, when I look at the soft proof adjustment on Affinity Photo I do not see any profiles for printing paper.  How do you get soft proof profiles for photo papers?  Also what I was still confused about when watching these videos is does the make, model, of printer and the color inks affect how well the printed photo compares to the image on the monitor.  This all leaves me confused which takes me back to my original question.  So how do I get the printed photo to closely match what I see on my monitor?

7 minutes ago, Alann said:

How do you get soft proof profiles for photo papers?

You simply go to the website that sells the paper, not a third party, for example, I used hahnemuhle papers so go to the Hahnemuhle webpage and look for their profiles for that paper.  They always free to download.  Secondly you can actually get custom profiles made that will be unique for your printer and any paper that want to use.  They are usually around 7 to 10 euros or discounted if you buy three profiles.  I do not know where you live so can not recommend a company, but I have used them and they are excellent.  

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

But with proper calibration of the display

... and right profile for monitor in OS. 

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.