You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Inpainting brush tool issue

Hi there, I'm new on here and have only just started using Affinity, so apologies if this question is old hat. It's probably a straightforward change, but when I select the inpainting tool instead of a circle, it shows as a target type cursor. How can I change this please?

Edited by CraigT66

Hi there, thank you for the tip. I had tried to do that but nothing, then a little while after posting up my question it changed. I don't know if it's something I'm doing, but it when I went back to what I was doing, it had returned to the target pointer again, very frustrating.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the forums @Dzanyk

Which “same problem” are you having?
Are you having the problem where the ‘ghost’ of the brush cannot be seen and you only see a cross-hair?
Or are you having the problem where the size of the brush seem to be reset back to the cross-hair when you go back to using the brush after changing the size?

Hi there. I just have the target marker, it doesn't seem to change to the circular brush (?) style (I'm new to Affinity so not up on all the wording). It actually went to the circular tool, but when I went back did the same and wouldn't change from the target tool. I've not used Affinity in a couple of weeks, but will be again from the weekend, so will see what happens.

Whenever I go to use the Inpainting Brush Tool it is always at the same size – in pixels – that it was the last time I used it, as far as I can remember. I can’t remember it ever going back to a tiny size – cross-hairs – by itself.
If you are moving between documents with very different dimensions (or DPI) then that might cause something to happen but I haven’t done exhaustive tests.
If you continue to have this problem then if you give us a step-by-step workflow of exactly what you are doing then someone may be able to help. (A video showing us what happens, if you can make one, can be very useful.)

Hi there, 

When I select a "vector brush tool" I don't see the size of the brush (circle) instead I see the cursor.

It turns into circle while drawing and when I release the muse button it turns into a cursor.

I guess it depends on the macOS system.  The problem is occurring on macOS Sierra.

On my second computer where is macOS Catalina the problem disappears.

brush_tool.JPG

• Staff

Hi @Dzanyk,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
It should display the cursor if the brush size is too small for the current zoom level. If you zoom in a bit it should become a circle. Is this what you are experiencing?
It shouldn't change to a circle while you are drawing if you haven't changed the zoom level. Any chance you can record a video showing what you are doing in case you are experiencing something else please?

I have 2 macs running Mojave and CS5 better than it ran on El Capitan - started by cloning my main work El Capitan drive to a new SSD then booted into the new clone system and checked everything worked as expected then upgraded to Mojave - the only paid upgrade I needed to make was Carbon Copy Cloner - it even fixed a few issues I'd had since Mavericks always have my old El Capitan SSD to boot into if I have any problems - not had any yet (aprox a year).

Regarding the curser not showing as expected - I've seen this a couple of times and for me, quitting and restarting seemed to sort the problem

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

38 minutes ago, Dzanyk said:

am attaching a video.

Hah that's different to my issue - for me the brush size curser was fixed as the standard curser arrow - a restart sorted it for me - other than a restart, I'm out of ideas - Sorry boss 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk