You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Some HEIC Photos imported from iPhone crash Photo on opening

• 1 month later...

Hi @MEB,

I came here because I'm having this same issue as well.  Photos edited and saved on the iPhone in HEIC format crash both Photo and Designer instantly. Do you need additional examples uploaded?  Would you like me to attach or upload any of the dump files from %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports\reports?

Regards, 

Wayne

Edited by Wayne L

Thanks!  I thought I had more than one, but it was just that one which happened to be what I needed to edit/export again (of course)!  I have a few other HEIC files that seem to open just fine. I can't seem to determine when the iPhone saves as JPG vs. HEIC?  I upload these photos from the 'Photos' app to Dropbox and most have .JPG extensions while a few have .HEIC. At any case, I hope that example helps.  I'm on PC if that matters and didn't originally notice the thread was in the MAC forum.  

• 5 weeks later...

I have the same problem (that is APhoto crashes when some (not all) HEIC photos are imported from my iPhone 12 pro), but I have noticed that this only happens when the file name (ending) is written in uppercase (.HEIC). When the file name (on a file that makes APhoto crash) is changed from .HEIC (uppercase) to .heic (lowercase), it works fine. That is my experience anywayApplies to both APhoto 1.8 and 1.9. Looking forward to this being fixed in future editions and hope the above can help identify what is causing the problem.

macOS 10.15.7

Edited by nbmalin

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hi @Jakeblu,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
No, the issue remains open. Weird that two load fine and a third one crashes the app considering all are coming from the same iPhone. Maybe there's some setting that triggers the crash, like one using Depth Control and the other don't or some issue while transferring them to your Mac. Were they all transferred the same way? Is there any noticeable difference/setting on the one that crashes? Do you mind uploading them to be inspected please? I can provide an upload link if you wish to keep the files private - just let me know.

• 1 month later...

I also have some HEIC files that cause both Designer and Photo to crash. Happy to send an example file. Latest version both on latest official relase of Apple OS. M1 Macbook. I would rather not upload my granddaughter's portrait to a public forum.

I have had the same problem for months with Affinity Photo. Immediate crash of the app when trying to open .heic files taken on iPhone and transferred to desktop. Happens so often that I just import the photos into the Photos app and then export as jpegs. I can open the jpegs just fine in Affinity Photo then.

• Staff

Hi @Greg108,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
If you stumble across any HEIC files crashing the app please fill a bug report here in the forums/let us know so we can fix the issue. Whenever possible attach the heic file in question to your report (or request an upload link if you wish to keep them private). Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I had this same issue, A few particular HEIC files kept crashing designer/photo. 

Although I don't have a solution to directly open the original HEIC file I do have a temporary work around for windows users.

1. Open the HEIC file on your computers photo viewer. 
  2. Go to Edit & Create.
  3. Click "Save a copy"

Your computer will automatically save the file as a jpg . I tested this with 3 HEIC files that were crashing Affinity and had success with each. I did not see any resolution changes under the image properties. 

Alternative method: If for some reason your computer is not converting to jpg. 

1. Open the HEIC file
  2. Screenshot the image by pressing the windows & "prt sc" keys. (may be different for your computer)
  3. Open the screenshot jpg. You can then crop either on your default photo viewer or in Affinity.

How to have photos captured in jpg. only from Iphones:

1. Go to settings > click (camera) > click (formats)
  2. Change the camera capture format to (Most compatible) not High Efficiency/HEIC.

• 2 weeks later...

The file from @LarsNvG crashes for me too, no matter HWA on or off. Attached is the crash report.

0e501238-26a7-428d-9bde-39a29ab67bca.dmp

PS: As a sidenote, GIMP 2.10 opens the file without a problem.

Edited by Joachim_L
Added more information

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Same to me. I've tried with the current beta of APhoto.

Faulty module: Libheif.dll

See memory register extract

SYMBOL_NAME: libheif!heif_register_encoder_plugin+18dbf

MODULE_NAME: libheif

IMAGE_NAME: libheif.dll

STACK_COMMAND: ~36s ; .ecxr ; kb

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: INVALID_POINTER_READ_c0000005_libheif.dll!heif_register_encoder_plugin

OSPLATFORM_TYPE: x64

OSNAME: Windows 8

FAILURE_ID_HASH: {6c5bea6b-71ec-2723-82e7-5cedab0b763a}

29ab9863-22c4-4f02-adeb-90f65486b7ae.dmp

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!