You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vertical Text, Text on a Path, Text on a Curve

I spent a few hours experimenting with Affinity Designer last night, and can honestly same that I am impressed.

However, the text handling capabilities seem to be just too limiting for me to be able to use the product as it stands. I need to be able to create vertical text, and to be able to fit text on along path (including a curved path). Please consider implementing these features.

Thanks

• 2 years later...
On 9/4/2015 at 8:33 AM, Stephen_H said:

Just bear in mind that Designer is a drawing/illustration/design application. Powerful text & paragraph tools should be expected from the Publisher app which is set to be released later this year.

Wow, I just came on board the Affinity train to get away from A-DOH-be, and still not sure if that plan will work. Seeing a post forecasting the release of Publisher three years ago does not make for optimism.

BTW, CorelDraw and Illustrator have been able to warp text on a path for aeons, as here:

vertical_text_on_path.png.1c7c3b6a2348dc195e8eca2ec863d4a2.png

Beginning to believer be, in all things Affinity.

16 minutes ago, Leslie Richelle said:

BTW, CorelDraw and Illustrator have been able to warp text on a path for aeons, as here:

Leslie,

To be fair, Illustrator was first released in 1987, Designer was release at the end of 2014 so Illustrator has quite a head start. Illustrator didn't have vertical text until version 7, which was a good 10 years after the release of version 1. I don't know when text on a path was introduced but I would guess it was version 7 or 8. Designer has been progressing quite quickly and the developers have been working on fixing bugs and adding the features that are on the version 1 roadmap. Does Designer, a new comer on the scene, have all the features that a program that is 31 years has? No but Designer is, right now very capable. Just head over to the "Share Your Work" section and look at the wonderful things that people create using it.  

3 hours ago, Leslie Richelle said:

Seeing a post forecasting the release of Publisher three years ago does not make for optimism.

Optimism is exactly what prompted talk of Publisher being released three years ago, as explained in the last paragraph of this post.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

12 hours ago, Hokusai said:

To be fair, Illustrator was first released in 1987, Designer was release at the end of 2014 so Illustrator has quite a head start.  

That's totally fair. Add to that the fact that 30+ years is plenty of time for Illustrator (and Draw) to get bloated, kludgy and slow.

I get the impression that the Affinity team is smart, original and working with a vision…which is more than one can say about the Establishment. I just hope they haven't bitten off more than they can chew.

Beginning to believer be, in all things Affinity.