You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

In answering a question about colour fonts in the Unicode mailing list I mentioned the following web page.

https://www.high-logic.com/font-editor/fontcreator/tutorials/create-opentype-color-fonts

In the section

Software Color Font Support

is a list of various software applications, including Affinity Designer, and the colour font support for each of them.

Is that list still up-to-date regarding Affinity Designer?

Will Affinity products be supporting COLR format colour fonts?

An associated question is that, even if Affinity software does or will support COLR colour fonts, if a PDF is produced, will Adobe Reader be able to display it properly?

For anyone who is interested, the thread in the Unicode mailing list is available from this page.

https://corp.unicode.org/pipermail/unicode/2020-November/date.html

William Overington

Saturday 28 November 2020

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

58 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Is that list still up-to-date regarding Affinity Designer?

Yes, it is. It’s rather disappointing that those of us who use Affinity Designer or Affinity Photo on iPad see the colours in the font list but can’t use them.

07E1B882-443B-49ED-9F0C-435E623FED2C.jpeg.a3c3edf3643cf4df60183eb4192e6bab.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hello Alfred

I have not used Affinity Designer very much at all, but I am wondering if in relation to colour fonts if the following would work and if so, would it be helpful.

Suppose that you produce a vector-based design with text in it, then export as SVG without ticking the convert to curves option for the font. Then use the SVG in a web page.

That might perhaps work if the end user has the font installed, but I am wondering if a web font could be used so that any user with a suitable browser could display the web page.

Would that then display the graphic with the colourful lettering? The Unicode code point for a colourful version of a particular character is the same as for the monochrome version.

Best regards,

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

35 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Suppose that you produce a vector-based design with text in it, then export as SVG without ticking the convert to curves option for the font. Then use the SVG in a web page.

Oh, well done, William! Here’s a screenshot from a quick experiment:

8A30DC5F-0F64-4F61-A733-93A0C8226091.jpeg.edbd88d777b59d2b0df3aa9f53a7cc9e.jpeg

35 minutes ago, William Overington said:

That might perhaps work if the end user has the font installed, but I am wondering if a web font could be used so that any user with a suitable browser could display the web page.

Please feel free to tinker with the attached SVG file.

Gilbert.svg

Alfred spacer.png

I’ve attached another SVG file using the Gilbert Color font, but this time I incorporated shapes for the text to run through.

420F9C44-1F2C-4A23-B27A-BE1C86383178.jpeg.14e1fe97a0bf5a36dcb1bb1d6aa75d1e.jpeg

Gilbert-cog.svg

Edited by Alfred
Added screenshot

Alfred spacer.png

Thank you.

Alas, I cannot get it to display in colour using the Gilbert font, it comes up in Times New Roman in black.

I am using Microsoft Edge.

After a while I realized 'Ah, I have not got the Gilbert font on this computer'.

Could you possibly made a screen print and post a ready-made image file please?

William

11 hours ago, William Overington said:

Could you possibly made a screen print and post a ready-made image file please?

I serendipitously revisited this thread just now to post a couple of screenshots, so here they are!

From Affinity Designer on iPad:

68CE2D8D-1A98-4233-B302-FEBD705A9595.jpeg.3fda4a71cc23b50cfca865078cd12c8b.jpeg
From iCab Mobile (a browser on my iPad):

09AF4E6F-7A44-442A-89E1-AA4F3039EE77.jpeg.dd61baaebb1c858598c31a3317aae0e9.jpeg

Ponche is a commercial typeface. The others in the above sample are all free for personal use.

Alfred spacer.png

I note that the font is uppercase only and includes all of the accents needed for both Esperanto and Welsh as well as several other languages, including, I think, Portuguese.

William

28 minutes ago, William Overington said:

I note that the font is uppercase only and includes all of the accents needed for both Esperanto and Welsh as well as several other languages, including, I think, Portuguese.

William

The supported languages are listed on MyFonts.com as: Western Europe, Central/Eastern Europe, Baltic, Turkish, Romanian

Alfred spacer.png

There is now a Share Your Work thread for images hat include use of colour fonts.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/128654-using-colour-fonts-in-affinity-programs-an-indirect-method/

William

• 6 months later...

A new thread to try to refine the application of the workaround.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/144236-some-language-independent-glyphs-for-museum-shops/

William