You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity stopped working and will not re-install

This has happened for a number of people from what I can see in the past. For some strange reason, Affinity Photo 1.8.5 was working fine and then one day this week would simply not start. I've tried downloading an older version but it would not install. So then I uninstalled 1.8.5 and now it will not reinstall at all. This seems to be the case only with my desktop system but it works on my laptop.  

Is there a known conflict with any Windows 10 updates? I'm stuck.

Hoping you can sort this out so I can get back to work.

Thank you.

Perhaps this:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 month later...

Hey Walt, 

I have gone through this problem once before and had essentially given up with Affinity but it's become a business critical process in my workflow and again, for some reason, it fails to install. I've followed the instructions you outlined and they don't solve the issue. 

How in the world Affinity won't work but Adobe products do befuddles me. 

Not that it has anything to do with Affinity but now even Skylum's programs won't install and older versions won't load.  

It would seem that there is something about the way Windows 10 does things that mucks many programs up.  

In any case, my workaround has literally to use another computer where it did load but it's not my main workstation - a bit like borrowing the mechanic's old beater while your main everyday car's in the shop and unusable.

Does Affinity have a screen share support service? That would go a long way to not wasting time in forums.

Cheers,

What is the symptom you're getting when it fails to install, @Work Pics 360?

Have you checked the other FAQ articles about installation failures, and failures to run?

For example:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/98922-faq-installer-errors-setup-failed-installer-windows-ui-issues/

or

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/101457-faq-what-to-do-if-affinity-is-failing-to-start-crashes-on-startup-or-the-ui-is-not-displaying-correctly-windows/

If you're getting one of the Setup Failed errors, please examine or provide the setup logs, which will probably have more information.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Yes I have checked for others but nothing that's worked yet.

What happens is I downloaded the most recent version, double click the exe install package, it seems to start up and then disappears after a few seconds. So it won't even install nor give me any error indications

Where would I get a log for an error if it doesn't even show that it has errors?

10 hours ago, Work Pics 360 said:

Yes I have checked for others but nothing that's worked yet.

What happens is I downloaded the most recent version, double click the exe install package, it seems to start up and then disappears after a few seconds. So it won't even install nor give me any error indications

Where would I get a log for an error if it doesn't even show that it has errors?

In that case you might need to find something via the Windows event viewer, but I would first look for the Setup logs mentioned in the FAQ; if one of them was created it might give some clues.

My only other guess would be that if it's not the first issue I pointed to, with the virtual display setting, that you have an issue with .NET. Possibly installing the latest version of .NET would help:

-- Walt
PC:

Are you sure you checked for the first problem I pointed out to you (repeated below)?

Your SetupUI.log file says there's an issue with a color profile, and that's usually the one set for the monitor profile. Please check this one again:

-- Walt
PC:

FOLLOW UP....

It runs! 

Somehow the display settings had not actually gone back to default. So what I did is deleted all the past color profiles I'd created so that it had no choice but to accept defaults.

That finally worked. Affinity Photo installed and runs.

So the question then becomes, how am I supposed to keep my monitors calibrated if every time Affinity gets an update, it breaks the installation? Fix one problem and create another...

Any ideas? Or is this just a quirk of having to live with Affinity? What's the point of doing photo editing if your colour profiles are wrong? 

Flummoxed, I am.

9 hours ago, Work Pics 360 said:

So the question then becomes, how am I supposed to keep my monitors calibrated if every time Affinity gets an update, it breaks the installation?

How are you calibrating your monitors, what software/hardware are you using?

I ask, because I run an x-rite Colormunki Display, calibration checked and reset every 28 days, and have never seen this problem, i.e. each update to any of the Affinity apps never changes my display colour profiles setting.

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

10 hours ago, Work Pics 360 said:

So the question then becomes, how am I supposed to keep my monitors calibrated if every time Affinity gets an update, it breaks the installation?

Affinity does not change the monitor display settings. That's either you, or Windows. Most recently (as in the topic I pointed you to), it's Windows.

-- Walt
PC: