You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Custom ICC Color Profiles in v1.8.6 not working!

Michael O

I use an EPSON F570 for sublimation printing. I use custom color profiles and noticed that after upgrading to Big Sur and Affinity 1.8.6 my custom color profiles are no longer functioning properly. Whenever I print I have a bunch of the colors completely missing on the printout. It seems even though the color profile is listed in the Affinity print settings, it's not properly loading/recognizing the color profiles. Prior to the update everything was working perfectly and I've verified my configurations are correct. The only thing I've updated is the OS and the version of Affinity. I should also mention whenever I use the default color profiles (non custom), everything works as expected. The default color profiles are not acceptable for my use case as I need the custom profiles for accurate colors. I'm still digging into this problem to see if I can identify a workaround, but no luck so far. Please advise. 

DTGHDR_F570_Fabric100%PolyShirtLightGray_TextileQuality.icc

Edited by Michael O
Added ICC profile.

Hi there!

Maybe the same problem here: I've added several ICC Profiles to my macOS system folder. These profiles are showing up in any DTP software but not Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher.

If I open an old document that was assigned one of these newly installed profiles, this one profile will be displayed in all Affinity programs in the future.

For example:

I've installed the ICC profile "PSO Uncoated V3".
It doesn't appear in the Affinity programs.
An old document uses ICC profile PSO Uncoated V3.
If I open it, the profile suddenly appears and can be used, even for future documents.

Same problem on my iMac and Macbook Air, both running Big Sur 11.0.1 and the newest App Store Affinity software.

Jan

Hi.

It looks like the problems lies in the file path to the Profiles folder. In the updated version it is now /Users/Me/Library/Containers/Affinity Photo/Data/Library/Application Support/profiles and not /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/ as in the older versions. You can use File -> Import ICC Profile in the Photo Persona to import your profiles: this will put them in the correct folder.

Biff

Thanks - the install only works for Photo app - but copying the ICC file seems to work for my photo and designer  apps (bought from Apple) but not for Publisher, which I purchased direct from Affinity. There is no Affinity Publisher folder in the above container folder.

There is a similarish folder in /users/me/library/application support/affinity publisher/profiles - placing the ICC profile in that folder works.  I am not an expert on how apps are installed, but it does suggest that the location of the profiles folder depends on how the application was bought.

I also had this disappearance of icc profiles after upgrade to Big Sur from the  icc profiles in the soft-proofing layer. I  found the -obscure to me- way to re-import them from File>Import icc path. (Thank you Biff) Still though, you can only (re) import them one at a time. If I knew the file pathway I could copy / paste all of them in one action into where they should be placed within Affinity. There were a few surprises in the applications I use after the Mac OS upgrade. Affinity is one of several. The others, I have not been able to figure out. 1036722931_ScreenShot2020-12-06at8_12_19AM.thumb.png.597d57409cf91c3218a4eca062920eb9.png

53 minutes ago, Lars55 said:

If I knew the file pathway I could copy / paste all of them in one action into where they should be placed within Affinity.

The FAQ below tells where to find the "user" directory that holds preferences and settings. On Windows, there is also a "profiles" directory in the same location as the "user" directory, and when ICC profiles are imported into Photo they go into that "profiles" directory.

Perhaps, if the Mac versions of the Affinity applications work the same way, you could find a similar "profiles" directory. If the profiles you've added are in there, then that's the place you could probably paste the rest of them. And perhaps they would work :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

20 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Perhaps, if the Mac versions of the Affinity applications work the same way, you could find a similar "profiles" directory. If the profiles you've added are in there, then that's the place you could probably paste the rest of them. And perhaps they would work :)

There is, under the File menu, an "Import ICC Profile..." option, which should put your profiles in the "correct" location.
At least, there is on the Mac version. I can't speak for the Windows version.

It would, of course, be nice and logical if Colour Profiles were stored in the same place as Printer Profiles.

Live long and Prosper 🖖🏼

Biff

19 minutes ago, BiffBrown said:

There is, under the File menu, an "Import ICC Profile..." option, which should put your profiles in the "correct" location.

Yes, but Lars was looking for a place to put them manually so they don't have to be imported one-at-a-time using that menu item :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Yes, but Lars was looking for a place to put them manually so they don't have to be imported one-at-a-time using that menu item :)

That's what I did at first. I then did a Spotlight search which turned the directory path I gave in a post above (/Users/Me/Library/Containers/Affinity Photo/Data/Library/Application Support/profiles), so I just loaded the rest of them manually.

Biff

I am having the exact same problem!!  I don't know what to do!!  please help me!!  I have a big order and I stupidly updated to Big Sur. BIG MISTAKE!  I've tried to download a new icc profile and the download doesn't even open like it normally would.  What do I do??!!!

22 hours ago, lisalynn01 said:

I am having the exact same problem!!  I don't know what to do!!  please help me!!  I have a big order and I stupidly updated to Big Sur. BIG MISTAKE!  I've tried to download a new icc profile and the download doesn't even open like it normally would.  What do I do??!!!

See the posts above ...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have also just experienced this issue with Mac Big Sur.

I have all my custom ICC Profiles located in color sync, so I selected them all and copied them into a new folder onto my desktop.

Then opened the folder 'Select All' CMD C to copy - then navigated to Biff's solution and Pasted them in support/profiles.

Closed Affinity and reopened, opened an image went to Layers/New adjustment Layer/Soft proof.

There I found all my custom profiles. Also went to Print / Color Matching/ Color Sync and found all my custom profiles there.

I have followed Biff Brown solution (/Users/Me/Library/Containers/Affinity Photo/Data/Library/Application Support/profiles).

Hope This Helps 

Regards

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2020 at 3:36 PM, BiffBrown said:

Hi.

It looks like the problems lies in the file path to the Profiles folder. In the updated version it is now /Users/Me/Library/Containers/Affinity Photo/Data/Library/Application Support/profiles and not /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/ as in the older versions. You can use File -> Import ICC Profile in the Photo Persona to import your profiles: this will put them in the correct folder.

Biff

Bingo! You saved my life! :) THX

iMac: 3,6 GHz 10-Core Intel Core i9 / Graphic: AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB / System: Sonoma 14.1 (23B74)