You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Import Layered SVG files into Moho Pro

I found this YouTube video where someone (I don't think from Adobe) created his own script that works with Adobe illustrator to an import SVG files *while retaining their layer structuring.* Because what seems to be a random person who is able to do this with illustrator, I know that the Serif team can do it in Affinity Designer.

https://youtu.be/fbOTRjbJtc8

I love Affinity Designer and it's workflow and I know that it will be faster for me to work in Affinity Designer to get the designs I want than in Moho Pro. If I cannot import SVG files like this, it will be too tedious to import complex shapes like characters that have many layers. I would therefore just use Moho Pro to design characters, meaning I would have to set Affinity designer completely to the side, which I don't want to do. I spent money to purchase Affinity expecting I was going to use it, so it would be a shame for me not to use that software because of something simple like this.

Can someone please make this a feature asap? LOL

Edited by Phazor

• 1 year later...
On 11/28/2020 at 3:33 AM, Phazor said:

I found this YouTube video where someone (I don't think from Adobe) created his own script that works with Adobe illustrator to an import SVG files *while retaining their layer structuring.* Because what seems to be a random person who is able to do this with illustrator, I know that the Serif team can do it in Affinity Designer.

https://youtu.be/fbOTRjbJtc8

I love Affinity Designer and it's workflow and I know that it will be faster for me to work in Affinity Designer to get the designs I want than in Moho Pro. If I cannot import SVG files like this, it will be too tedious to import complex shapes like characters that have many layers. I would therefore just use Moho Pro to design characters, meaning I would have to set Affinity designer completely to the side, which I don't want to do. I spent money to purchase Affinity expecting I was going to use it, so it would be a shame for me not to use that software because of something simple like this.

Can someone please make this a feature asap? LOL

AffInity Designer hasn't improved for Moho Pro. Have you found a workaround?

• 7 months later...

@Phazor +1 for this

Although as it seems now Affinity 2.0 will have support for scripts (I've read about Javascript and a C++ type language somewhere here by Serif), so that would (hopefully) open up possibilities to create these kind of things ourselves / by external parties!

BTW for those that are using Moho and found this thread and were having issues importing SVG into Moho, like I had today, (issues in the curves in Moho after importing the SVG): At the moment unfortunately Moho 13.5.5 can't handle Relative Coordinates in SVG paths data strings. Unchecking 'Use relative coordinates' in the Affinity export settings works around this issue. I'm hoping (and asked today for a fix by Lost Marble) Lost Marble will fix this issue soon as relative coordinates in paths is part of the very core SVG standard and not every SVG around is made in Affinity. But at least we have a workaround!

• 1 month later...

Due to posts like these - I just finished creating a free script (SS SVG Import) in Moho to import SVG files directly from Affinity (and others). You should not need to change any settings in Affinity for it to work and import successfully with correct Layers, Layout and Colors etc.

Please See: https://youtu.be/Alsza8fNW1c

• 1 year later...
On 11/15/2022 at 1:39 PM, simplsam said:

Due to posts like these - I just finished creating a free script (SS SVG Import) in Moho to import SVG files directly from Affinity (and others). You should not need to change any settings in Affinity for it to work and import successfully with correct Layers, Layout and Colors etc.

Please See: https://youtu.be/Alsza8fNW1c

And we're still pleased with it! Now built into moho 14 'natively'. Still thanks for all the hard work! :)