You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Scanner Epson 2400 failed to open

On 11/27/2020 at 5:15 PM, jfw222 said:

Epsom Perfection 2400 will not open I. Beta 1.9.0.206.  Attached is screen shot. Error -21345.   Mac, Big Sur.

Scanner will open in 1.8.6.   Checked System Preferences, and is OK.

Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 8.54.23 AM.png

Have you tried opening the scanner using its own software? If that works, then it might be Affinity failing to talk to the scanner software...

I get a crash if I try and use the HP Envy 5055 Scanner with the Beta 1.9.0 but it works fine with the retail. The Beta sees it but if I try any refinements Photo crashes without generating a Crash Report.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Bruce,  I, also, get this crash in   ap1.8.6.   I reported it a long time ago, ad was told the this was a known bug and wold be addressed in the future.   my scanner will open in 1.8.6 and I can save the scan, but the scan cannot be edited before saving.   1.9 Beta refused to recognize the scanner at all.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/13/2021 at 4:22 PM, Erwe said:

try the following: after the error message appears, quit Affinity Photo and restart it. This works with my Epson Photo 1650

I have Affinity Photo 1.8.6 and an Epson V600 Photo flatbed scanner with up-to-date software. (In fact, it updates often for unknown reasons.) macOS Big Sur

I find that occasionally I get the "Failed to open a connection to the device." message. This doesn't happen all the time and seems not to be connected to any other event.

The only reliable fix I've found is to quit Affinity Photo and restart it (which takes a pretty long time).

If instead I open Image Capture.app, usually it will make the connection. Affinity Photo, of course, is using Image Capture to Acquire Image from Scanner, so it's hard to understand the problem.

• Staff

Hi all, could I ask that you try the following:

1. Go to Print > Show Presets > Activate "Reset Presets Menu to Default Settings After Printing"
2. Close Affinity > Restart and try the Epson - You might have one more crash 
           DO NOT use "Last used settings" > Select manual settings instead
3. Restart the printer > Untick the "Reset Presets Menu to Default Settings After Printing" 
           The crash should no longer happen

This is only a potential workaround for now.

It worked the first time, but when I shut down the scanner and Affinity Photo and tried again, I got the same ,old error message.  The scanner failed to open.   Perhaps, you have to go through the same procedure each time you want to use the scanner.

On 1/30/2021 at 8:51 PM, Stephen Hart said:

I find that occasionally I get the "Failed to open a connection to the device." message. This doesn't happen all the time and seems not to be connected to any other event.

Something to check if getting connection errors with network connection – i.e. scanning via AirPrint and the like:

System Preferences > Network > Advanced > TCP/IP > Configure IPv6: Automatically (not "Off")

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• Staff
17 hours ago, jfw222 said:

It worked the first time, but when I shut down the scanner and Affinity Photo and tried again, I got the same ,old error message.  The scanner failed to open.   Perhaps, you have to go through the same procedure each time you want to use the scanner.

I believe that to be the case. This is a potential and temporary workaround.

"Something to check if getting connection errors with network connection – i.e. scanning via AirPrint and the like:"

In my case, my Epson V600 is USB wired.

I did find that my scanner was not listed in System Preferences > Printers & Scanners, and added it back. That's odd as the scanner was working after restarting Affinity Photo. I'll keep monitoring the situation.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a problem here too but positive it is nothing whatsoever to do with Affinity and entirely to do with Big Sur.

I can't open my scanner from System Preferences -> Printers & Scanners -> Scan -> Open Scanner, however the scanner opens ok when I uses the built on macOS -> Image Capture. These are both built in macOS features, might be worth others checking whether this works as well or not.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

"I have a problem here too but positive it is nothing whatsoever to do with Affinity and entirely to do with Big Sur."

You may have a point. There's definitely something weird going on.

I found for the second time that my Epson V600 scanner had disappeared from System Preferences > Printers & Scanners though I definitely didn't remove it. And it still was available in Affinity Photo. Open Scanner in System Prefs produces a notification that the scanner is in use in another application (same result from Image Capture), but that may be because in Affinity Photo Acquire from Scanner shows a blank overview.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.