You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Good Font Manager for use with Affinity? (was: Artzfartzy)

23 hours ago, jmwellborn said:

Typeface is a joy to work with.

Fully agree. Wonderful app. A perfect blend of pleasant user experience, nice features and great performance. The man behind this app is a very passionate developer and type lover. Thank you very much, @Floor, for your truly incredible work on Typeface.

18 hours ago, dcr said:

For Mac users, are people still happy with Typeface?

I used FontExplorer Pro X, but as that's no longer maintained, I'm betting it might break with the next OS update, which means I need to switch again.

I used to use Suitcase Fusion which I was happy with until they went to a subscription.  I don't do subscriptions to software.

I initially moved to FontAgent but wasn't completely happy with it and switched to FontExplorer Pro X when I got a new Mac.  Been happy with it but, like I said, I'll be needing a replacement sooner or later.

As an ex-Suitcase and ex-FontExplorer Pro user from wayback, who switched from FEX a few years back, Typeface is still my go to font manager. It’s rock solid, receives regular updates, and doesn’t get in the way.

FWIW I tried some of the other font managers along the way, such as FontBase and RightFont, but they just don’t measure up to Typeface IMHO.

On 11/6/2022 at 3:55 AM, firstdefence said:

Font switching works with Affinity apps and selected text too, drag a font from Typeface to Affinity and the font changes.

I switched over to Typeface a little more than a year ago and immediately took to the ease of use with minimal issues. I would recommend it to anyone on mac looking to switch to a new font manager. The updates are released consistently and the pricing model is very fair. I've emailed @Floor a few times with questions and for help troubleshooting and he's always replied quickly and has taken the time to explain things and consider ideas. 

@firstdefence I saw your comment I quoted above and was intrigued - so I decided to test it out. I did not have any luck dragging an active font from Typeface over to Affinity designer and getting the live text in Affinity Designer to change. Was there a setting I am missing?

13 minutes ago, Boldlinedesign said:

I switched over to Typeface a little more than a year ago and immediately took to the ease of use with minimal issues. I would recommend it to anyone on mac looking to switch to a new font manager. The updates are released consistently and the pricing model is very fair. I've emailed @Floor a few times with questions and for help troubleshooting and he's always replied quickly and has taken the time to explain things and consider ideas. 

@firstdefence I saw your comment I quoted above and was intrigued - so I decided to test it out. I did not have any luck dragging an active font from Typeface over to Affinity designer and getting the live text in Affinity Designer to change. Was there a setting I am missing?

You have to have the text selected in Affinity first.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

23 minutes ago, Boldlinedesign said:

Make sure your text layer is active such that you see the blinking cursor. You can double click on the text in your document (not in the layers panel) to do that and make the text editable. Then drag and drop a font from Typeface to Affinity. Typeface will change the font for the entire text layer to the new font.

The app needs permission to do this, you can learn more about that here: https://typefaceapp.com/help/articles/font-switch/affinity-designer

Edit: in your video the layer is selected, but the text is not in the edit state yet

11 minutes ago, Floor said:

Make sure your text layer is active such that you see the blinking cursor.

Success! thanks! this was the part I was missing. I had the text box itself selected, but not the blinking cursor. 

is there any reason this could not work for other vector editing programs out there? I tried with another one and did not have success

Just now, Boldlinedesign said:

is there any reason this could not work for other vector editing programs out there? I tried with another one and did not have success

Any app that uses Rich Text (RTF) is supported out of the box. You can test that by copying some text from the vector app to for example TextEdit. Does the pasted text have the same font & weight? Then it should work with Typeface.

If that doesn't work (the app might only support plain text), then Typeface needs a specific plugin to communicate with the app and change the font. Currently supported apps are listed here: https://typefaceapp.com/help/articles/font-switch