You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Rotating/changing size without bluring

Hello everyone.
I work a lot with pixel art and I have to frequently copy, move, resize and rotate a bunch of pixels. Nearly every time, when I do that, graphics get really blurry, and I have to manually "fix" them and sharpen to get the outcome I expect. Is there any better way to do it? I figured that I can copy graphic (from one file to another) using Edit ˃ paste special ˃ PNG to ensure copying without any adverse effects, but I can't figure out how to do other actions to "override" that effect.  Can I turn off blurring effect somewhere? Few examples in attachments.

Have a good one,
Dawid Holas

Example-rotation-enlargement.png

Edited by Ssinssrigg

21 minutes ago, Ssinssrigg said:

Hello everyone.
I work a lot with pixel art and I have to frequently copy, move, resize and rotate a bunch of pixels. Nearly every time, when I do that, graphics get really blurry, and I have to manually "fix" them and sharpen to get the outcome I expect. Is there any better way to do it? I figured that I can copy graphic (from one file to another) using Edit ˃ paste special ˃ PNG to ensure copying without any adverse effects, but I can't figure out how to do other actions to "override" that effect.  Can I turn off blurring effect somewhere? Few examples in attachments.

Have a good one,
Dawid Holas

Example-rotation-enlargement.png

Is this of any use?  The little box on the right just below HERE, with the red inner colur.  It's called 'Force Pixel Alignment.'  I am not sure if this is what is needed, I am new myself to pixel art and designer.

Capture.PNG.a36cbb4af5743462d07dbd4d7a42bb59.PNG

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

26 minutes ago, Chris26 said:

Is this of any use?  The little box on the right just below HERE, with the red inner colur.  It's called 'Force Pixel Alignment.'  I am not sure if this is what is needed, I am new myself to pixel art and designer.

Capture.PNG.a36cbb4af5743462d07dbd4d7a42bb59.PNG

Unfortunately that doesn't work. I believe it supposed to help with pixel alignment but doesn't seem to have any influence on blurring with rotation, resizing etc. 😓

Edited by Ssinssrigg

A pixel is a square, it can be rotated 90 degrees and it will take up exactly one pixel's worth of space, if you rotate it by ten degrees it will take up more than one pixel's worth of space. Same thing with enlarging by other than an integer multiple. 2x is okay, 1.1x is not. The little bits will be expanded into the entire square and those squares will be coloured by the average of the little bit being spread out. In the case of the rotation you can see how the original pixel will be made lighter because there is blank space in it now.

591445358_ScreenShot2020-11-27at9_06_00AM.png.4643094c8f33f08fe9031fa86affe048.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

6 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

A pixel is a square, it can be rotated 90 degrees and it will take up exactly one pixel's worth of space, if you rotate it by ten degrees it will take up more than one pixel's worth of space. Same thing with enlarging by other than an integer multiple. 2x is okay, 1.1x is not. The little bits will be expanded into the entire square and those squares will be coloured by the average of the little bit being spread out. In the case of the rotation you can see how the original pixel will be made lighter because there is blank space in it now.

591445358_ScreenShot2020-11-27at9_06_00AM.png.4643094c8f33f08fe9031fa86affe048.png

I believe your intentions were good, however I don't need a lesson but a solution 😉 I already know things you mentioned (or at least I was imagining it like that). I know as well that some graphic software can handle enlarging, rotating etc. in the way I would expect. Example of enlarging without blurring can be even Microsoft Paint. I'm aware that it may result in deformations or other incontinence with the original picture, but its still easier to edit that than pixel-by-pixel editing blurred area. As far as I remembered I was able to do it in Photoshop as well. Unfortunately I don't have access to PS anymore, but Affinity seem to be an excellent tool as well and I would prefer to not to "jump" between different software. Thanks for explanation, tho, I appreciate that you spent some of your time trying to help me 🙂

I guess changing your preferences to use Nearest Neighbour in the View Quality section of the Performance tab is a start, as would be using Nearest Neighbour for exports. 

15 minutes ago, Ssinssrigg said:

I'm aware that it may result in deformations or other incontinence with the original picture, but its still easier to edit that than pixel-by-pixel editing blurred area.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

I guess changing your preferences to use Nearest Neighbour in the View Quality section of the Performance tab is a start, as would be using Nearest Neighbour for exports. 

EDIT: Its actually doesn't work :( I checked it on larger image, pixel art still gets blurry :(

Excellent! That works; thank you so much!
Have a great day :)

Are you using Nearest neighbour for exporting?

Here is a tiff I exported after copying one of the little figures from your screenshot. there are three figures one is rotated 10 degrees and the third is enlarged by 5 pixels in width (5+ in height)

Untitled.tiff

Exporting with "Nearest Neighbor" doesn't work. @Old Bruce, I think you used parts of my example graphics that was already sharpened.
Resizing the document with "Nearest Neighbor" works properly. Thank you. It's little problematic to modify every element as a separate document, but it does work.
But still, resizing is a secondary thing. Is there a way to do it with rotating? 😏

11 minutes ago, Ssinssrigg said:

Exporting with "Nearest Neighbor" doesn't work. @Old Bruce, I think you used parts of my example graphics that was already sharpened.
Resizing the document with "Nearest Neighbor" works properly. Thank you. It's little problematic to modify every element as a separate document, but it does work.
But still, resizing is a secondary thing. Is there a way to do it with rotating? 😏

Nearest Neighbour exporting works for me for rotated Pixel objects.

Designer document with pixel art (via my screen grab here) from the screenshot in post number one by @Ssinssrigg. Exported png files one at Nearest Neighbour and one at Bilinear. 

Which is sharper? I say the Nearest Neighbour.

Experiment.zip

Post Script: I only see the tiff for item 3.