You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can someone help me with this brush setting (Photo)

Hi there!, Could somebody help me please, I've tried messing around with the settings on the brush tool to get tappered lines. I use a mouse to draw and when I do in affinity photo I get this;
image.png.eaedc17f9e5beebcf5424f730603c417.png

but When I draw in "Fire Alpaca" I get this;

image.png.5f42af7a1b5abee6b4c117dbb05a025e.png

In fire alpaca I have, stablizer set to 38 and have "Force pressure on both ends" checked. What do I have to change to get the tapered effect in photo? I've changed the settings to this but still no luck; 

image.png.e16561e999706a2c4d78a508c767afcc.png

Please could someone help :(

Edited by PenTool.exe

6 hours ago, PenTool.exe said:

How long does it take for mod approval? o:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Your post was approved, shortly after you made it if I remember correctly when I saw it.

It simply has not yet had an answer, either from the community nor from one of the moderators.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Can you show us a screenshot of the Dynamics tab from the brush editing dialog?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 11/27/2020 at 6:24 AM, PenTool.exe said:

I use a mouse to draw and when I do in affinity photo I get this;

A mouse has no pressure, you could select either Automatic or Velocity and give those a try from the controller menu. Most likely you will have to select the line you have drawn and apply a pressure curve to it by using the Stroke panel and the Pressure editor

1384220028_ScreenShot2020-11-29at8_48_42AM.png.f86ebc9440f4c678aede7604dd85e074.png

859582414_ScreenShot2020-11-29at8_43_58AM.thumb.png.e3549be9a24d2ca073884656e399e140.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

55 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

A mouse has no pressure

Are you using photo or designer? I can't find the controller for the brush in photo?. And I know a mouse has no pressure lol but please look at this

image.png.a40d9807d78412c6f6fcaefb65f65c66.png
(fire alpaca) ^ , In a free drawing program the lines are SMOOTH and I can choose to  zero pressure points, even with a mouse. But in photo the lines are extremely pixelated and I can't find the controller for the brush?  

image.png.1bdeb794a30e0d4c786ccd5718dce26e.png

affinity photo ^

Edited by PenTool.exe

• Staff

@PenTool.exeAs you're using Photo, you don't have a Stroke panel to adjust, this is in Designer. With the Brush tool seelcted click the More button on the Context toolbar, here you can adjust the brushes dynamics. Select Size and on the dropdown change it to Velocity as if you are using a mouse you're limited as to what you can do.

Now in doing this you may experience a known issue as when you first click hold to start drawing your line you'll get a "blob", this is logged with the developers.

We also don't have the same type of option available as the other app where both ends can have zero pressure applied. Not sure on your circumstances but it may be benefical to your workflow to look at tablets.

21 hours ago, Lee D said:

Now in doing this you may experience a known issue as when you first click hold to start drawing your line you'll get a "blob", this is logged with the developers.

We also don't have the same type of option available as the other app where both ends can have zero pressure applied. Not sure on your circumstances but it may be benefical to your workflow to look at tablets.

Changing it to velocity helped. thank you so much! And yeah I was getting the blob issue. And I was thinking of getting a tablet but I usually sketch whatever it is I'm doing then go over it with the line tool. I was hoping the mouse would be-able to create the tapered effect though. Is there any way to stop the pixle look though?

On 12/8/2020 at 9:04 AM, Deme727 said:

I hope it is clear, this is my first attempt at explaining this

You explained it really well! But thats not my issue though ^^'' I know how to use the pen tool and how to get the tapered effect with that. I *NEEDED* it with the brush because, I prefer to sketch out what I'm doing then, go over it with the pentool todo the lineart. But the brush is extreamly pixleated and dosn't do the taper effect.

I drew this in a free program: 

image.png.b27e9b00c01756df817ae3a70559b357.png

and drew this in photo, I can't comprehend why photo is doing this pixelated mess.

image.png.8cc9fed6e9f9a30868618c03c84f3612.png

The free program is drawing smoother lines?

I see, I answered an unasked question, however I agree with Lee D (the only option I could find), changing the brush dynamics to "VELOCITY" when using a mouse. It is going to take some practice, but if does give it a more organic look. Sorry I couldn't help. Good luck.

test.png

2 hours ago, Deme727 said:

I see, I answered an unasked question, however I agree with Lee D (the only option I could find), changing the brush dynamics to "VELOCITY" when using a mouse. It is going to take some practice, but if does give it a more organic look. Sorry I couldn't help. Good luck.

test.png

You did help! :) though may I ask how your lines are smooth? I've changed it to the settings suggested above but mine still looks pixleated when yours's is smoother. Could be brush? :O image.png.138f2bcf889c23f8f225b174da494a39.png