You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher Customer Beta - 1.9.0.863 (was 857)

• Staff
On 11/27/2020 at 8:34 PM, Frozen Death Knight said:

Really digging the new ctrl+R click menu for selecting things! Great change and I can't wait to see it in Designer and Photo. 🥳

I did notice that the feature was a bit unstable. Had Publisher crash repeatedly when I used it in one project where I had nothing selected in a file with an artboard (clicked outside the canvas). Might have to look into that maybe? :)ne suggestion I have for when clicking outside the canvas, especially with multiple artboards, is that it shows all the layers in the project which you can then select (for artboards they would be considered as groups on that list). That way you have a fast way to select any layer and you have a quick overview of the entire document. Clicking on a specific layer to show what is clipped and/or grouped to it is nice and all, but I could see it becoming more useful if you have a way to see every layer by clicking outside the canvas as a contextual command. ^-^

On 11/28/2020 at 4:01 AM, Frozen Death Knight said:

I think I might have found another problem with the new ctrl+R click menu. Apparently you cannot select the main layer with this system using this menu, only the layers clipped or grouped to it. Here's a video example where I am trying to select a pixel layer, but because it already has at least two other layers clipped to it it instead behaves more like a menu rather than a selectable option. In this video you can see me trying to select the layer "Line Art", but instead it only shows the layers attached to it. I hope that you change it so that any layer can be selected in this menu. Maybe add a small square space on the right of each menu option where you can select click instead of opening the "folder" with its layers inside it? This way you have an easier way of doing either action without interfering too much with each other.

Another issue I found was that ctrl+R click doesn't respond to certain selections. For instance, if you have selected something outside of a group of layers (i.e. selecting the background instead of the foreground), trying to get the menu to show the contents of what you are trying to select doesn't work until you press L click first on that group. Then you can use this command to search through whatever is inside that selection. Would be good if this command tried to select the main group first and then show the contents in the menu just so it feels better when clicking on stuff on the canvas. Would reduce some of the tedium of having to L click -> ctrl+R click every time.

Thanks for the great feedback @Frozen Death Knight! I have put in a fix for the crash. And also, as suggested, I have added the ability to select the layers/objects which contain children. This will be via the topmost item on the child submenu with a separator below it.

Regarding the selection; I will look into it. 

Thanks again.

Chris

On 11/30/2020 at 10:17 PM, Chris J said:

Thanks for the great feedback @Frozen Death Knight! I have put in a fix for the crash. And also, as suggested, I have added the ability to select the layers/objects which contain children. This will be via the topmost item on the child submenu with a separator below it.

Regarding the selection; I will look into it. 

Thanks again.

Chris

My pleasure! ^-^

Great to hear that the issues are being addressed! This selection system is going to be a really good workflow enhancement while working.

I just thought up another idea regarding the new selection method. I don't know if you would agree with me here since I don't know all the long term plans regarding tools and shortcuts, but here goes! Could you add this selection operator to the brush tools as well? As of right now there is no operator assigned to ctrl+R click for all the brush tools, but I know that it would be really nice if you decided to add it. Would be a lot more convenient from my artist point of view if I don't need to switch between the Brush Tool and Move Tool to select a layer I want to work on on the fly. Unless you have other plans to add some other features to the brush tool that would interfere with my request, it would be much appreciated if you added this feature there as well.

Thanks! :D

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.