You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher Customer Beta - 1.9.0.863 (was 857)

• Staff

Purpose: Updates and Fixes
Requirements: Purchased Affinity Publisher
Windows Store: Not submitted
Download: Download
Auto-update: Available

Hi,

We are pleased to announce that Affinity Publisher Customer Beta 1.9.0.863 is now available as a download from the link above.

If this is your first time using a customer beta of an Affinity app, it’s worth noting that the beta will install as a separate app - alongside your store version. They will not interfere with each other at all and you can continue to use the store version for critical work without worry.

This beta is significant update from the 1.8 version available for purchase - we strongly recommend that you do not use this beta for real work as data could be lost and the files you save are not guaranteed to open in previous or future versions of Affinity Publisher.

---

We have a new preflight check for the document colour profile being incompatible with PDF/X. Currently this is generating false positives. This will be fixed in the next update.

Fixes And Improvements

General
Fixed Select >  Deselect for Master Page items
Fixed crash which could occur when undoing a color format change
Fixed rounding error in scale displayed in the context toolbar scaling UI for images
Now able to drop folders from Windows Explorer which contain Assets into the Assets Panel
Ctrl+Right-Click displays tree of objects to select from
Pages panel loses the scroll position when switching between document tabs
Fixed Keyboard shortcuts > Apply to all
Allow marquee selection in Pages Panel

Text
Text frame bounding rectangle now remains visible when typing text
Fixes for vertically aligned text in conjunction with baseline grid
Reverting local formatting in a TOC could cause issues
Auto correct quotation marks for French
Text Styles panel may truncate style names without clear indication.
Fixed use of Tab Character with Initial Words
Unable to add tab stop lower than the already existing highest value
Line breaks coming from Paragraph Style with Bullets and Numbering is now removed in TOC
Fix for the Index Panel showing double entries under certain circumstances
Fixed crash which could occur when deleting a TOC 
Table Formats weren't rendered colour corrected in the panel
Fixed Initial Words UI update issue
Fixed issue with Spelling > Change UI

Find and Replace
Fixed issue where Replace All with an empty string could cause a crash
Ensure found entry is always made visible in Find and Replace panel
Find and Replace did not always advance to next result correctly
Text from Master Page frames not selected correctly in Find and Replace panel 

Images / Frames
Converting to Picture Frame could distort the frame content
Can now 'Paste as Content' into Master Page Picture Frame
Name converted Pixel Layers
Name images created from the clipboard

Import / Export
When creating a new file from a template reset the fields. When exporting don't change the filename field.
Fixed placement issue with artboard based afdesign files
Custom date formatting on xlsx files could import incorrectly
Export Pages field now clears when switching documents
Improved PDF export of Type 1 fonts, which could cause failure under certain circumstances
Fixed possible crash on PDF Export under failure conditions
PDF Export was converting RGB bitmaps to CMYK if the original document had the bitmap's working profile
Fixed crash in PDF Export which could occur if a bitmap's colour profile did not match the bitmaps colour format
Fix for TGA 32bit export

Data Merge
Facing page data merge could lose data and assign incorrect master pages
Import from Excel files could miss rows whcih started with no data in the first column
---

Release Notes for 1.9.0.850

Release Notes for 1.9.0.843

Release Notes for 1.9.0.829

Release Notes for 1.9.0.822

Release Notes for 1.9.0.798

Release Notes for 1.9.0.796

Release Notes for 1.9.0.742

---

To be notified about all future Windows beta updates, please follow this notification thread 

To be notified when this Publisher update comes out of beta and is fully released to all Publisher customers, please follow this thread

Hi Adam

Thanks for the update...but! having a bit of an issue getting to boot

This is a first:)!

Just installed the update....seemed to install ok but when I click on the icon it tries to load then quits

NB
Restart=failed
Clear previous data also (Control Click)=failed

Ok tried uninstalling!
Uninstall | restart | download new version then install =failed

any ideas?

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.1 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2356
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

21 minutes ago, StuartRc said:

Just installed the update....seemed to install ok but when I click on the icon it tries to load then quits

Worked fine for me.

Did it produce a crash report?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Worked fine for me.

Did it produce a crash report?

Hi Walt

Thanks for that...hadn't considered it!.....Just checked though...and no basically the last crash report was from July The previous beta was working fine.... I had also had a look at windows update to see if Microsoft was being a pain but nothing there either!

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.1 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2356
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0

3 minutes ago, StuartRc said:

and no basically the last crash report was from July

Perhaps something in %AppData%\Affinity\Publisher\1.0 (Beta)\log.txt ?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Perhaps something in %AppData%\Affinity\Publisher\1.0 (Beta)\log.txt ?

Ok checking!
had a look through list. It is recognising and finding graphics card but skips some colour profiles.

• Staff

@MickRose that was indeed helpful, it's related to a font that is installed on your system. We are looking into this but it may be helpful if you could zip up and upload your fonts folder to here. I'm aware it may be quite a big upload but it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

1 hour ago, Jon P said:

@MickRose that was indeed helpful, it's related to a font that is installed on your system. We are looking into this but it may be helpful if you could zip up and upload your fonts folder to here. I'm aware it may be quite a big upload but it would be appreciated.

Thanks

It will be Monday before I can upload the fonts folder. Do you still want it? Is it the Windows/fonts folder?

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

Thank you!....installed perfectly this time!:)

Just now, AdamW said:

Hi StuartRc - Glad to hear it. Thanks for letting us know.

No Problem...I was surprised! but hey that's what betas are for!.....:)....and 1.9 is looking good!

Really digging the new ctrl+R click menu for selecting things! Great change and I can't wait to see it in Designer and Photo. 🥳

I did notice that the feature was a bit unstable. Had Publisher crash repeatedly when I used it in one project where I had nothing selected in a file with an artboard (clicked outside the canvas). Might have to look into that maybe? :)

One suggestion I have for when clicking outside the canvas, especially with multiple artboards, is that it shows all the layers in the project which you can then select (for artboards they would be considered as groups on that list). That way you have a fast way to select any layer and you have a quick overview of the entire document. Clicking on a specific layer to show what is clipped and/or grouped to it is nice and all, but I could see it becoming more useful if you have a way to see every layer by clicking outside the canvas as a contextual command. ^-^

I think I might have found another problem with the new ctrl+R click menu. Apparently you cannot select the main layer with this system using this menu, only the layers clipped or grouped to it. Here's a video example where I am trying to select a pixel layer, but because it already has at least two other layers clipped to it it instead behaves more like a menu rather than a selectable option. In this video you can see me trying to select the layer "Line Art", but instead it only shows the layers attached to it. I hope that you change it so that any layer can be selected in this menu. Maybe add a small square space on the right of each menu option where you can select click instead of opening the "folder" with its layers inside it? This way you have an easier way of doing either action without interfering too much with each other.

Another issue I found was that ctrl+R click doesn't respond to certain selections. For instance, if you have selected something outside of a group of layers (i.e. selecting the background instead of the foreground), trying to get the menu to show the contents of what you are trying to select doesn't work until you press L click first on that group. Then you can use this command to search through whatever is inside that selection. Would be good if this command tried to select the main group first and then show the contents in the menu just so it feels better when clicking on stuff on the canvas. Would reduce some of the tedium of having to L click -> ctrl+R click every time.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.