You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Should the Wrapping Bitmap Fill taking original aspect of layer into consideration?

Windows 10 Home 20H2, Photo 1.8.5.703.

Have a look at my attached video and see if it’s doing what you think it should be doing.
I create a document of 200×200px with some basic content and export it.
Then, in another document, I add a rectangle of random dimensions (because I can’t add one with a specific size).
Then I change the dimensions to what I want.
Then I add a Wrapped Bitmap Fill but the fill is not at the proportions I would have expected, even with Maintain Fill Aspect Ratio switched on.
Is this what is supposed to happen? (It doesn’t seem right to me.)
It seems to be related to the seventh point in this thread: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/109074-ade-fill-tool-bitmap-fills/

• 10 months later...

So I checked this on my MBP and double-clicking one of the spurs resets the bitmap fill to the original aspect ratio.  I’m pleased to be able to do this, but the implementation seems rather unintuitive to me, especially since I can find no reference to this in the online help.

However, it seems that the fill tool bases the initial aspect ratio from the object being filled, rather than from the bitmap fill.  That seems very odd because it will almost certainly distort the original aspect ratio of the fill itself, and I can’t imagine why that would be desirable.

Serif, can you please comment on how the aspect ratio for the fill is set initially, and any reasons there may be for taking it from them object being filled rather than the bitmap itself?

Regards