You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Automatic resource finding (1.9)

Automatically find resources in the project root directory. 
And in any folders located in the root directory of the project. 

This allows you to pass a project with linked resources to another user, 
without need to save as a package, each time!

Example

Contents of the root folder:

Root_folder.png

(the Assets folder contains textures used in all floor plans)

---

Root_folder_2.png

Not sure I understand what you are asking here. The whole point of packaging a file is to put everything together needed for the project. This saves hunting around and ensures you have everything you need, fonts and placed images. Having it auto search and find resources is only half the battle as you still have to deal with fonts. It would be nice to have packaged Publisher files able to use fonts that have been packaged with the project like you can with Indesign. So many headaches gone not needing to activate fonts from customers files now when they come in. 

9 hours ago, wonderings said:

The whole point of packaging a file is to put everything together needed for the project.

Not only that. If the project has linked content, and this project needs to be transferred to another person, or moved to a different PC, you will need to packageing.

If the program automatically searches for resources in the project folder, there is no need to save paths to linked content.
It will be faster and easier to work with any project that has external assets.

The idea is that there is no need to save any paths. Just put the linked content in the project folder.

Algorithm

1. Open the document.
2. Reading the names of linked files.
3. Search for linked files by name, inside the project folder. (the search does not occur outside the project folder)
4. Placing files in this open document.

12 hours ago, telemax said:

Not only that. If the project has linked content, and this project needs to be transferred to another person, or moved to a different PC, you will need to packageing.

If the program automatically searches for resources in the project folder, there is no need to save paths to linked content.
It will be faster and easier to work with any project that has external assets.

The idea is that there is no need to save any paths. Just put the linked content in the project folder.

Algorithm

1. Open the document.
2. Reading the names of linked files.
3. Search for linked files by name, inside the project folder. (the search does not occur outside the project folder)
4. Placing files in this open document.

Isn't that just a sort of packaged folder? Packaging puts all the links and fonts in the one folder. So when you transfer to another person you just send the whole folder which has everything they need. 

Sounds like you are just trying to do packaging a little differently or I am just not getting what you are wanting and how it is different then packaging.

1 hour ago, wonderings said:

Isn't that just a sort of packaged folder? Packaging puts all the links and fonts in the one folder. So when you transfer to another person you just send the whole folder which has everything they need.

That's correct. But automatic search would have saved you from having to package the project, if you collect content in a project folder.
I initially collect all the content in a folder. I just need to transfer/send this folder. No additional steps.

Sounds like you are just trying to do packaging a little differently or I am just not getting what you are wanting and how it is different then packaging.

I want linked content could be completely independent of paths.

Local_Search.png

Local automatic search, only inside the project folder

On 11/28/2020 at 9:56 AM, telemax said:

That's correct. But automatic search would have saved you from having to package the project, if you collect content in a project folder.
I initially collect all the content in a folder. I just need to transfer/send this folder. No additional steps.

I want linked content could be completely independent of paths.

Local_Search.png

Local automatic search, only inside the project folder

Seems like you are trying to re-invent the wheel. This may be fine for images but missing the font end of things. This seems like a step back as if you are going to send this to someone else to work on you are now going to have to pull fonts and add them manually. Packing makes this simple and is not a hardship while keeping things organized and having everything you need in one folder. 

This seems like a step back as if you are going to send this to someone else to work on you are now going to have to pull fonts and add them manually

I offer this as an add-on that doesn't change the existing system. And "Save as Package" should work as well as ever.

I do agree that images in the same root folder of the document or a subfolder should be saved as relative links.

Package certainly has its place, but it is overkill for simply collaborating on documents in progress in a multiuser environment. All we should need is save and close, then the next person opens it right up again.