You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

I have a Canon printer iX6850 that I use to print my photos on. Problem I have is that all my printed photos are much much darker (like a ND filter overlay) than my ready-to-print picture in Affinity photo.

I am not familiar with all different colour profiles,  but I have used the default sRGB IEC... that is mentioned in preferences.

I do not know how to fix this issue, please advice if you have a solution for this.

4 hours ago, Johan Abrahamsson said:

I do not know how to fix this issue, please advice if you have a solution for this.

It is impossible to diagnose this without detailed informtion.  Perhaps you could spend a moment listing, in order, your workflow from the time you loaded the image to the moment you set up the printer settings:

Namely:

You said it looked like a ND filter was over the print-out, this would suggest to me that the colours were flat and the shadows were darker?

What colour space was attached to the image when you imported into Affinity Photo?

Did you edit it?

How bright is your screen, Subjective I know, but give an idea of you can.

Now list the settings you have in the actual document?

Now list the settings you have clicked on just as you are about to print: IE Printer manages colour or App manages colour? - Paper selection? - any settings you have in the printer.

9.87 times it will be a User issue rather than an Affinity Issue.

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

Hi Johan,

I have a Canon iX6550 printer which is in the same series as yours. When I first got the Affinity apps I did some printer tests and found the following settings gave excellent results.

Within your document go to 'Edit/Preferences/Colour' and select the following:

Colour1.jpg.e44ea61c724f1dbdf3f11a6f0251b47f.jpg

When you go to print select the following:

Colour2.jpg.1992a0c45b04574588cb7d62cea491ed.jpg

Next, click on 'Properties' next to your 'Printer:' and select your 'Media Type:'  and desired 'Print Quality:'

Colour4.jpg.295e28866fcd34dfa364eec5c354a4ea.jpg

Then click on the 'Main' tab and select 'Manual' then click 'Set@

Colour5.jpg.32e10f5049fe8c88fbe92a2503d032f4.jpg

Under the 'Matching' tab select 'None'. I found if this was left at the default of 'Driver Matching', colours and brightness were all wrong:

Colour6.jpg.b74488780e088caf9617e6fbd2a4e1f1.jpg

sRGB (Standard RGB) was color space defined by HP and Microsoft for displaying images on the Internet. 

sRGB and Apple RGB are close in color gamut

Adobe RGB (1998)  is a color space defined by Adobe in 1998 that enables images edited in RGB to translate accurately to most color printers (CMYK printers).

On 11/26/2020 at 8:10 PM, Duoro said:

Hi Johan,

I have a Canon iX6550 printer which is in the same series as yours. When I first got the Affinity apps I did some printer tests and found the following settings gave excellent results.

Within your document go to 'Edit/Preferences/Colour' and select the following:

Colour1.jpg.e44ea61c724f1dbdf3f11a6f0251b47f.jpg

When you go to print select the following:

Colour2.jpg.1992a0c45b04574588cb7d62cea491ed.jpg

Next, click on 'Properties' next to your 'Printer:' and select your 'Media Type:'  and desired 'Print Quality:'

Colour4.jpg.295e28866fcd34dfa364eec5c354a4ea.jpg

Then click on the 'Main' tab and select 'Manual' then click 'Set@

Colour5.jpg.32e10f5049fe8c88fbe92a2503d032f4.jpg

Under the 'Matching' tab select 'None'. I found if this was left at the default of 'Driver Matching', colours and brightness were all wrong:

Colour6.jpg.b74488780e088caf9617e6fbd2a4e1f1.jpg

Thank you for your effort to help be, but these settings made no difference. Can be because I have a iX6850 !

19 hours ago, Johan Abrahamsson said:

Thank you for your effort to help be, but these settings made no difference. Can be because I have a iX6850 !

I am having to take an educated guess here based on what I see above in those settings.  May I sugest that you click on ICM, and then if you have a settings dialogue as a result of this, you then click on 'No Colour Management".  Ok my reasoning is simple:  On my high end inkjet printer I have a straight forward setting - "No colour management" and I have a NONE, and that is straight forward  NONE is ONLY used for when you are creating a colour Profile or are asked to print a special colour target out to be sent away to a company that will create a target colour profile for you..  However, to my horror and dismay on cheaper inkjets I have found that there is no explicit setting, instead they have NONE.  and this is misleading.  NONE seems to mean NO colour management, but on my laser printer I never use this setting as it is wrong, I have to select 'Standard'

If there is one thing that irritates me about printer manufacturers is that there is no consistency in their terminology.  Try what I have said and get back to us.

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.