You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Missing documentation for Filters -> Colours -> Auto *

Hello,

I'm unable find any documentation about what are these actually doing. I'm working with a bit more precise pixel information and I am interested in the way how these are implemented.

1. At least I want to know according to what these are working (e.g. min/maxed axes from HSL/HSI/HSV/LAB or whatever).

2. Also, after I used the Black & White filter, none of the Auto-whatever actually increased the grey scale values? In my case, half of the dynamic range was exported only.

3. Side, but related question: is it possible to retrieve the min/max values of the raster during the definition of the procedural layer?

Thank you and best regards.

P.S.

Scratch #2. Apparently, Auto-whatever needs to work on merged grayscale (my gray scale conversion was as layer).

Edited by ryobg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @ryobg,

I'm currently trying to get the information in order to answer this.  It might take a while to get the confirmation of what is actually being done due to the current holiday season and reduced staff as explained here but as soon as i've got the correct answers for you, i will be back here with more information :) 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @ryobg,

I've attached a screenshot of the Help section from the latest beta which has been updated to include how the Auto filters work.

For point 3, just so i'm clear, are you trying to find out the old values of rasterised procedural texture layer?  If so, then i don't think this will be possible but if i've misunderstood the question please feel free to ask it again and if you can give me a break down of the workflow and what you are trying to work out, i'll seek some further information :) 

image.png

@stokerg thank you for this follow up.

I think these descriptions are helpful, but not fully because as the reason I asked about these is I work with pixel precise information. And I want to know how the values are going to be transformed in more... mathematical sense. For example, it is common for for high-level work, Auto-leveling / normalising to cut a bit (few percentages) from the bottom or the top tonal range, so the shades in between stretch better. I'm looking for pure mathematical stretch in my case, but looking at these descriptions it is hard to infer what is going on actually.

Thank you again.