You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

i really did try hard to make AP work for me, missing plugin support is not an issue i even can live without actions but non sticking settings drive me nuts.  working on more than one image is simply frustrating when you have to apply the same settings again and again.  this does not work in a professional situation.  the repetitive tasks are time consuming, annoying and prone to introduce mistakes.  it is sad but this for me is the main reason i have to stay with photoshop until a fix is available.

I won't switch back to something else but I understand what you're saying.

Most people here are asking for features like Artboards and whatnot. I personally think the developers could better work at 3 major 'improvements' updates in the months to come before starting adding new features and functions to the core.

I mean, if you read a single review online about Affinity software changes are they are positive and they should be but within the first 10 lines of each review you'll see  the software get compared to Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.. Yes they have a similar tool sets and you can do almost the same things but - boy if you're starting working with Affinity software and you've had some years with Adobe under year belt, you will notice how improved Adobe software really is based on usability.

There are lot's of small usability features in Adobe software most of us probably never notice and take for granted - until you switch to some other software and this software doesn't have this easy to use settings or features. Only than you'll understand how solid software made by Adobe really ( after so many years ) is from the ground up. It's not only features and getting the job done faster each year by Adobe but there are lots of very tiny small things that make it so easy to use.

I don't wanna say anything bad about Affinity software I really like what I got this far and I can understand the software is still very new and needs to mature over time. But when I select an opacity input field and drop the value from 100 to 60% with my keyboard arrow keys I expect the jump/toggle to the next input field when I press the Tabs key on my keyboard not just deselect the window i'm working in.

Those are very tiny things that doesn't work but should work in any software today, even Pages and Numbers can do stuff like that. I'm confident the developers will all fix those things in the years to come I just wished more people would really like to see those smaller bugs and improvements get fixed first before asking for new features and whatnot.

Hardware
 Mac mini (late-2014), 2.6GHz, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris 5100 Graphics  iPad Air 16GB White

Software I love, and you should get :wink:
Affinity Desinger - Affinity Photo - Sketch - Coda - CodeKit - iA Writer - Dropbox - 1Password

i too like AP very much and i totally agree with your view.  a haze filter and other amateurish stuff  is nice to have  but those who use AP professionally have very different needs.  often i work on a lot of files simultaneously but even a small number for example 5 portrait retouches can get very troublesome when you have to reenter every value and tool setting over and over again.  this not only slows me down significant it takes my attention away from the real job which is bad and pushes me back to ps to save time and frustration.  

sidenote:

- sticky settings are on the roadmap if I´m not totally wrong and the tab thing should be low hanging, almost laying on the ground, right?

besides that I think everyone can totally agree that there are some small touches that remain to be done

EDIT

sorry, sticky settings is only present on the common feature request index 

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/10410-common-feature-requests-index/?p=44580

sidenote:

- sticky settings are on the roadmap if I´m not totally wrong and the tab thing should be low hanging, almost laying on the ground, right?

besides that I think everyone can totally agree that there are some small touches that remain to be done

EDIT

sorry, sticky settings is only present on the common feature request index 

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/10410-common-feature-requests-index/?p=44580

thank you, yes it is not even on the roadmap !  so after a great first impression and a too enthusiastic view i´m back to reality...... 

• Staff

Hi csp, Shmoo,

The reality is that Photoshop has more than two decades of development. There's no way we can compensate for all that in just one year, so having this in mind is crucial to make a correct assessment of what to expect from a new app entering in the market. We are doing the best we can with the resources we have. Only with time we will be able to close the gaps and polish the application to the level we all want.

I'm not a user of PS, but I own a business and one of the workflows calls for my employee to scan images and then make lots of different sized copies of the result. Using PS, this work was optimized by someone who knew PS via the use of actions. It's currently performed almost daily by an employee who doesn't even know how to use PS (except as needed to perform the actions). I did a quick search on this forum as someone who would like for my staff to get off of PS so that we don't have to pay the subscription fees, but I'm told that actions are essential to the workflow. My question is, given that the initial post says "I can live without actions...", is there a plan to get actions into AP, or is it scriptable, perhaps using Automator, in a manner that would support what I've very, very poorly described?

Who said that AD⚡AP is perfect? :huh: There are certainly still a lot to improve, but for me there is no turning back to PS. The new apps (mac) from Serif are simply good and impressive, and this forum is absolutely gorgeous. Developers listen to you and give you feedback, most other software companies don't offer this service. :) Gute Nacht.

Illustration & Grafik bodobe.de

I enjoyed reading the points made above regarding Photo's development, figured I'd share some of my thoughts on this…

Raw number in years of development cannot be compared apples to apples with Adobe's considering the resources vary quite differently between them and Serif, all the more reason buying Affinity software with your supporting dollars helps every little bit level that playing field even against a behemoth like PS. This will also continue capturing the attention of the news and creative blogs that helps gather even more exposure and awareness of this great software. Personally I think and I'm sure many agree it's easily the greatest photoshop replacement contender most have seriously took into consideration.

Yes, Adobe does pitch that with renting their software, you'll have access to more updates frequently with the promise of immediate new features, but at the expense of another pricey monthly bill… however what they don't tell you is that it's effectively making you beta testers now more than ever with their now ramped up release schedules as it's easier for bugs to get through (as I've noticed more of nowadays), consequently, they also created a situation where they need to schedule those updates more frequently because the customer has to feel that their monthly costs are justified. Yes, I understand bugs are a regular part of the software world and no software is really 100% bug-free. Heck, they'll throw the whole kitchen sink at you if you want ALL their software…… perhaps there are ideal customers or studios where this is suited perfectly for, but not for the majority of us.

I noticed that with the Affinity software this release situation is similar but without the subscription commitment and without the risk of having your files held hostage if you stop making the ongoing payments… you buy the software and you can "choose" whether you'd like to be a beta tester to get a peek of new features and bug fixes, or just stick with the current version if it works for you just fine. It's great not having something like that annoying (and required) adobe cloud utility using up resources and nagging about updates… oh, and heaven forbid you forget your adobe login on that 11th hour when it has to authenticate or your internet connection decides to take some shuteye.

Photo is VERY impressive for a version 1 release as we all know, the continuing requests from pros to Serif shows that clearly many are upset at Adobe's future direction, but also that the tides are changing for creative software and Adobe's tools while mature are looking tired and many are ready and willing to completely move away from their trusted tools of many years for something that is fresher, works smarter and faster, while not all the features are there yet as many would like, with every release there's a new group of people it will reach where it's finally good enough to make the switch, for others it will take much longer… but for now I like many, are only one major feature or two away from finally pulling the Adobe plug.

There are many other points I haven't mentioned, I agree the Adobe Cloud will continue to be perfect for most people's needs and in it's arena it's amazing in it's own right. With that said, I'm already noticing some of my creative colleagues get excited over the prospect of excellent alternatives for their art/graphics needs from smaller shops… such as Sketch which is more specialized and excellent for it's suited purpose.

meb,

don’t get me wrong serif has build a great app with great tools but they also made the design decision to not remeber tool and adjustment setting.  i can not see that this is a question of development time.  this is such a basic need if you want to  work productively that i was  suprised not to see it in the final release along with other basic things.  the best tools are worthless if you can not acces and use them in an easy way.  first i thought i will oversee this shortcomings and get used to AP but when i shifted more of my work  from ps to ap it more turned into a real problem.  it is also discouraging  to see that improvemnets in usability are not on high prioriy and tells me that you simply  focus on another type of user.  it is sad to see that this limits the power of ap and makes it not attractive for heavy former ps  users.