You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text wrapping not working for particular image in Publisher

Hi,

I'm currently working on a document that contains approximately 60 images located amongst text that's arranged in 2-column text frames.  I initially placed the original images that were provided to me (all in JPG format) into the document, and they all worked fine.  Later, I converted them all to TIFF images so I could minimize lossiness if I had to upsample any of the images later.  I've done this in the past with no problem at all, but for one of the TIFF images, I noticed that the text wrap wasn't working at all.  After quite a bit of experimentation, and facing a deadline, I wasn't able to correct this problem, so as a workaround, I created a no-stroke, no-fill rectangle the same size as the TIFF image, places the rectangle directly under the image, and set the text wrap for the rectangle, which worked fine.

I also could create a simple case that reproduces this problem:

1. Create new Publisher document.  I used a size of 8.5" x 11", but the size probably doesn't matter.
  2. Add a two-column text frame, and size it large enough to fill the page, with some margin space
  3. Fill the text frame with filler text
  4. Click in the margin to deselect the text frame.
  5. Place the ss-pic 4_Retouched.tiff file, and size it so it completely fills the width of one of the text frame columns.  At this point, if you drag the image horizontally, you can see that there is text under the image (this is expected).
  6. With the image selected, display the Text Wrap settings.  The Wrap Style should be "None" (this is expected).
  7. Change the text wrap style to "Jump", and close the Text Wrap dialog.  Drag the image horizontally, and there is still text under the image (this is NOT expected).
  8. Now, using the same process as above, deselect everything and place the ss-pic 4.jpg file and size it to fit into the adjoining column of the text frame.  If you drag the image horizontally, you will see that there is text under the image (this is expected).
  9. Change the text wrap style of the JPG file to "Jump", and the text will move out from under the image as expected.

I'm currently running Publisher 1.8.6, and I'm wondering if this might be a bug that was introduced since 1.8.4, which was the version I used the last time I did this kind of work.  Could someone else confirm that they can reproduce this problem, so I can rule out the possibility that it's some sort of problem of my particular computer or installation?

Thanks!

Ken

ss-pic 4.jpg

ss-pic_4_Retouched.tiff

On 11/26/2020 at 1:22 AM, Lagarto said:

I can confirm the same behavior on Windows (release does not wrap, the beta does). The problem is related to TIFF file's transparent background. If the file is saved flatted (without transparent background), it will wrap also in the release version.

As part of my work on the document that contains this image, I used Affinity Photo to rotate the image 1 degree counterclockwise, to straighten out the text, and after doing so, the resulting exported TIFF file *did* wrap in Publisher.  So the transparent background may be a necessary requirement for the wrap to not work, but there must need to be other aspects of the TIFF file also present to trigger this.

ss-pic_4_Retouched2.tiff