You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Multiple linked instances of one Smart Objects

AndyCapp

Hi,

I'm experimenting with import of PSD files which contain multiple instances of one Smart Object for 3D text mockup (see 3D-sample-01.psd).

The import works well, the link is kept and I can edit the text in one place and all the linked instances are showing my changes.
(Using the Double-Click-To-Edit-Layer)

Next I save it as affinity photo file (see 3D-sample-01.afphoto) and open it again. Now the link between the instances is broken and I find many separate embedded files which is a bit annoying.

My cross check with similar effects created fron scratch in Affinity Photo shows a much friendlier behaviour, even after saving and re-opening the links between the instances are kept.

BR

AC

3D-sample-01.psd 3D-sample-01.afphoto

• Staff

Hi @AndyCapp,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Thanks for your feedback. Affinity Photo 1.8.6 doesn't support linked layers. This is a feature we introduced very recently in Affinity Photo Customer Beta 1.9 that may lay the foundation for better support of PSD's with linked smart objects.

• Staff

Hi Andy,
Embedded Documents do work fine when created in Affinity Photo (which are more or less comparable to smart objects in Photoshop). They have been available for a long time. I talking about a different feature entirely - linked layers which are only available in the Customer Beta 1.9 which i believe may will help getting the same result as multiple instances of a smart object in PSD's.

The bug you are experiencing with "cloned" smart objects is already logged to be looked at.