You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No first line indent on the paragraph immediately after a header

Hi,

In many texts I like to see indentation on the first lines of paragraphs, but never when they are immediately preceded by a header. When the previous body paragraph format is the same, there should be indentation on first line of that paragraph. See image attached.

Is there any help to get from Affinity Publisher when this has not been set in the text from the beginning?

Let's say I've already got a text with some levels of header paragraphs styles but only one body style.  Is there any way I can achieve the indentation illustrated, in a simpler way than manually reassigning every paragraph immediately after a header?

Is

First indentation zero after headers.png

Edited by Andreas1974
Double images. One removed.

The way I would do this is to have three Paragraph Styles Head, First Paragraph, Bulk Text. Then set the Next style in Head to First Paragraph and in First Paragraph to Bulk Text. And in Bulk Text set it to [Same Style]. Select the three paragraphs and choose Apply "Head" then Next Styles from the context menu in the Text Styles Panel. It will work as you type in data too.

The other way is to search (using the Find and Replace feature) for the Head style Plus a paragraph separator Plus something in the next paragraph. Replace the something with a Tag and the something.

The Regex would look like 

Find

\r(.)   Plus the Head style.

Replace

\r<tag>\1

Now search for 

Find

<tag>(.)

Replace

\1   Plus the First Paragraph style.

Caveat: This is early morning here on the Left Coast so I may have missed some very important steps.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I see! Then these options are very similar (identical) to the ones present in InDesign. I've hardly used Affinity yet, so I didn't even try... thought it would be more different, and I've also been looking for (hoping for) an advanced style option that could take care of this very common situation more automatically. However, it's very good it's possible to deal with it without the need to manually find and update every paragraph.

I didn't quite get your search to work: \r(.) found nothing when combined with a header style. But I tried a regular expression I found for InDesign, and it worked, to find the actual paragraphs that need the changes:

(?<!\r)^.        <-- + the body text style

Under change to,
just select Format: "first line indent: 0"

This way the two step operation is not needed with the <tag> insert, and repeated adjustments can be made using the same find/replace action but with a different number.

The only thing that differs from InDesign is that when I do a new find/replace, to reset (restore) the first line indent to 4 mm, Affinity still think there is an override on the style (override 4 mm... despite the fact that the original style has already 4 mm first line indent).

Thanks,
Andreas