You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity designer - aligning to one item from a group

I have a project, where I would like to make a alphabet with flowers. As every letter is different, I am using symbols to create the florals. Unfortunately I have created arboards after finishing my letters and now I have to center the group according to letter  (which is not in the group center). I have also added a letter parts covering part of the letter, so it´s not possible to move florals separately from letter.

Do you have an idea how can I align it on page properly? I have googled the answer, but I was not successful.

I hope added screenshots will clarify better what I mean.

Thank you!

forum1.jpg

I believe you have an artboard containing a group, and the group contains a letter and some other objects.

By using Candidate List with Maximum of 1 for snapping, you can make the letter be the snapping candidate and then drag the group's transform origin to snap it to the centre of the letter, and then hold down ctrl key (that's on a Mac, but on Windows the modifier possibly is different) and drag the group's transform origin (so it is like a handle for the group) and snap to the centre of the Artboard.

That definitely works for me in AD on macOS.

24 minutes ago, magica237 said:

Thank you! I am trying it right now but I don't understand what is the function of the Ctrl button.

On a Mac, holding down ctrl key and dragging an object's transform origin makes the object move along with the transform origin. In other words, the transform origin becomes a handle for the object (such as your Group), and that handle can be snapped to things (such as the centre of your Artboard).