You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Design and Photo are really slow to load.

skip777

Just updated OS on iMac to Big Sur public beta.  The computer is a iMac 2018 Intel i5 processor.  Trying to load Affinity Design or Photo causing a lengthy about of time to finally open.  Is this a current issue?  Would appreciate any feedback that I can get on this topic.   Thanks

• Staff

Hi skip777,

Just to let you know this is something we're aware of and is with development. It seems to happen on the first boot of the app after starting your Mac. Subsequent boots of the application should be ok. I'll get your comments passed on.

Also you shouldn't need to use the Public Beta of Big Sur as Apple has released the OS for general availability.

I have the same issue. It takes 'a bit longer' to open in macOS Big Sur version 11.0.1. I'm using MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports) non touch bar.

Yes, It seems to happen on the first boot of the app after starting the Mac. I didn't encounter it on the previous version of macOS.

MacBook Pro 13-inch 2017 running macOS Big Sur version 11.0.1
Affinity Deisgner 1.8.6 - Affinity Photo 1.8.6 - Affinity Publisher 1.8.6

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem on a new M1 MacBook Air, which is not a slow computer. First load, 27 bounces on dock. Subsequent load, 2 bounces. If I wait a day or two it is back to 27 bounces (without an intervening reboot). I am using the "universal" version of the app (Arm+x86)

• 1 month later...

Taking even longer after Big Sur 11.2. So many bounces on the menu bar when trying to open Designer or Photo. And no, it's not just "after a restart," it happens after the computer goes to sleep or after an hour or two. These apps run beautifully once opened, but it shouldn't take that long to open them. This should've been fixed by now.

Edited by MattmanForever

Updated to Big Sur 11.2 yesterday. Just installed the 1.9 updates for all three Affinity apps on my Mac mini M1. Publisher is from the Affinity website and now loads quickly. Designer and Photo are both from the App Store and still take 20+ bounces in the dock to launch. Subsequent launches are quick.

I will try the launches again later after a restart to see if that makes any difference.

1 hour ago, pharwood said:

I will try the launches again later after a restart to see if that makes any difference.

Didn't restart, but just launched Designer again after an hour. Same result; 20+ bounces in the dock before launch.

How was this not fixed with the latest release?

13 minutes ago, ConnectCreative said:

Isn't the long load something to do with Rosetta /M1 ? I thought it should only do it on its first launch then every time thereafter be fine?

The Affinity apps are M1 native so don't use Rosetta. Launch is quicker if you quit and relaunch after the first launch, but wait a while and the slow launch returns.

I made a duplicate of the Affinity Designer app as suggested on a different thread. The copy does seem to start up quickly after the first launch. Once I confirmed the copied app was working I deleted the original and renamed the copy from 'Affinity Designer copy' to 'Affinity Designer'. A solution for now?

This has been an issue for as long as I've been using Affinity software, all the way back to Catalina and several revisions of both Photo and Designer. It's about time this is fixed but I'm not holding my breath ... the only thing keeping me using the software is as a developer, I don't often need to spend too much time in photo or vector editing applications. Otherwise, I'm about ready to try something else. There are also now weird crosshair / cursor issues in Designer since 1.9 I've not had before