You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Actual Text Size discrepancy with Ruler dimensions

Hello--

I am working on a document in designer and have set the text dimensions to appear in inches (document has already been set up to show in inches, so the document's ruler is set to inches in units). 

However, when the dimensions are set to 0.75in for text height - the actual measured height (when lined up close to the ruler scale and when 'measuring' by using guide lines) is only 0.54in in height. I have exhausted my attempts at finding someone else with the same problem or any online help available. Screenshot included. 

Any help much appreciated!

Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 5.42.31 PM.png

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

The font size you specify includes several different aspects, which together make up the size. For example:

• You need to account for room for descenders (y, g, p) that extend below the baseline.
  • And you need room for ascenders, which might be used for diacriticals that appear above the letters (such as accent marks) or might be used for lower-case letters that are taller than the upper-case letters.

You can't simply pick a font size in inches and assume that will be the letter height.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks for the reply Walt.  I am not a graphic designer, so I must admit your response is somewhat over my head. Sorry, my presumption was that picking the font size would indeed be setting the font height (capitalized).

I gather then that my best approach is to go with WYSIWYG scaling of the text to achieve the right size on my display?

6 minutes ago, RPahlavan said:

I gather then that my best approach is to go with WYSIWYG scaling of the text to achieve the right size on my display?

Depending on exactly what you're trying to accomplish, I think so.

If you know you're working with all capital letters, for example, you could use the Artistic Text Tool. Set up your Guides as you did, set the Tool's crosshair on the top Guide, and drag the tool until the crosshair is on the lower Guide to set the font size. Then type your letters.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

6 hours ago, RPahlavan said:

your response is somewhat over my head.

ntg5f.png.2b3f44aed8e36680035c9d7427d061f6.png

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• 2 years later...

@walt.farrell Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Do you perhaps know how exactly does Affinity measure the font?

And maybe some tips on how should I measure it when designing? (Are professionals measuring the font's position from it's center, x-height line, cap/descender line, ascender/descender line or just cap/baseline?). I am designing an App layout and I am not completely sure how to place texts so they are correctly aligned to other elements

37 minutes ago, Raptosauru5 said:

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

You're welcome.

Sorry, but no, I do not know which of the Font's defined measurements are used, as I've never tried to figure it out and I've never examined the details of any specific fonts that closely.

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, Raptosauru5 said:

And maybe some tips on how should I measure it when designing? (Are professionals measuring the font's position from it's center, x-height line, cap/descender line, ascender/descender line or just cap/baseline?). I am designing an App layout and I am not completely sure how to place texts so they are correctly aligned to other elements

Affinity measures type size the same way every other program but the size of type varies between fonts. For example, all of these letters are the same size but their heights look quite different.

Screenshot2023-10-20at10_49_41AM.thumb.png.b76ecb49fe7c28f59ae8bd56be3a38f6.png

The font designer can choose how much space a character takes up. Without getting all technical, apps don't scale the characters to a specific physical size but instead scale the enclosing space. The font designer can go above or below the lines shown in the great reference diagram earlier in this thread.

if you really want some text to be exactly 1 inch tall, create it as Art Text and then convert it to curves. Then scale it as required because it will now be a path and you can control the physical size.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)