You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Art Board problem

• Staff

Hi Eddy-2,
This document was originally created in Publisher. It's a page based document (notice the page 1 of 1 controls/navigation on the bottom left of the interface) and as such cannot have artboards. Regular artboard based documents don't have those page controls on the bottom left of the interface. If you go to File > Document Setup  you will also notice there's a Layout tab there which is also not available on regular Designer documents. I'm afraid there's no way to convert it back to an artboard based document directly in Designer. For some reason it also crashes Publisher. I'm passing this file to the dev team for further inspection.

10 minutes ago, MEB said:

This document was originally created in Publisher. It's a page based document (notice the page 1 of 1 controls/navigation on the bottom left of the interface) as as such cannot have artboards. Regular artboard based documents don't have those page controls on the bottom left of the interface. If you go to File > Document Setup  you will also notice there's a Layout tab there which is also not available on regular Designer documents. I'm afraid there's no way to convert it back to artboard based document directly.

That file crashes Publisher Beta if I try to Open it, so it's more than simply being a file that was created in Publisher, I believe.

There is a known bug that trying to Paste an Artboard into a document will break the document. Some of the symptoms:

• The Paste operation doesn't result in a layer being created. 
  • Once the Paste has been tried, the Artboard tool will not work, and claims the document has pages or a Master Page.
  • If the document is Saved and reopened, the Page navigator will appear. (I had not seen that effect before, but I just reproduced it.)

I suspect this is an occurrence of that problem, and that at some time Eddy tried to paste an Artboard into the document. (Or, perhaps, there is another path that leads to the problem, but I know that trying to paste an Artboard will do it, even in the Beta, so apparently the bug has not been fixed yet.)

Recipe:

1. Create Document1 in Designer.
  2. Add some content.
  3. In another document, select an Artboard in the Layers panel and Copy.
  4. Back in Document1, Paste.
  5. Try to use the Artboard Tool. It will fail.
  6. Save Document1.
  7. Reopen Document1, and it will have a Page navigator.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.