You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Publisher] How to manage master pages' object/layer hierarchy ?

Hi folks, here I am with my second question for the day. I'm afraid that one won't be as straightforward as the previous ones, but let's see.

Here's my issue : I have a master page created with all my graphical elements, text frames, etc. and I created a double page from this master page -so far so good. Now there is some content (pictures) on that page that I'd like to slip behind some other elements from the master page (page corners), but I can't seem to be able to change the hierarchy at all. Is my only option to remove the occluding element from the master page, and add it to the actual page, so that it can pass in front of the pictures ?

Here's a capture.

Thanks ! Cheers,

Hadrien

ap_corner_occluding.PNG

This is another example of the need for "global layers" within APub. A workaround myself and others have come up with is to use Master Pages as a stand in for global layers. Create a Master with the "top level" content and another Master for everything else, then apply both Masters to the spread. (remember to uncheck "replace existing" when applying the second) You can then arrange the layer order to make sure everything layers properly

Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 11.38.25 AM.png

5 minutes ago, Hadriscus said:

That's clever, thanks for the suggestion ! What are global layers ? Is this lingo from another software ?

It refers to the way InDesign handled layers in a more "global" fashion rather than each individual page having its own "layer set." You can find many topics here about the pros (and maybe cons?) of the old system vs Affinity's new approach.

19 minutes ago, prophet said:

It refers to the way InDesign handled layers in a more "global" fashion rather than each individual page having its own "layer set." You can find many topics here about the pros (and maybe cons?) of the old system vs Affinity's new approach.

I see. The problem seems to be that the layer structure in master pages is fixed, as in nothing can be inserted in between any two layers that come from a master page. Generally, master pages are the solution to making a change in one place and see it propagate in all pages where that master page is present/applied (which is the same concept as file referencing in Maya or linking in Blender) but what's lacking here (at least in my use case) is the ability to make overrides to the layer structure of the master page : rearrange layer order, insert other objects in-between, toggle visibility and other properties, and so on.

I consider my issue fixed, thanks a lot !

Hadrien

• Staff
7 minutes ago, Hadriscus said:

... but what's lacking here (at least in my use case) is the ability to make overrides to the layer structure of the master page : rearrange layer order, insert other objects in-between, toggle visibility and other properties, and so on...

Hi Hadriscus,
With the document page selected (not the master), right-click the Master layer in the Layers panel and select Edit Detached.

16 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi Hadriscus,
With the document page selected (not the master), right-click the Master layer in the Layers panel and select Edit Detached.

Hi @MEB, thank you I was not aware of this function ! From quick testing, it seems like I can override visibility, as well as insert layers anywhere in the stack -but not override layer transforms (position, rotation, scale). Instead when I transform layers while in "edit detached", my changes propagate back to the master page. Well, that's great already ! I think I can live without transform overrides. @prophet's workaround is not necessary anymore (although precious to know it can be done!).

Thanks again !