You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Printing profiles are not behaving in AP

Hi there!

I tried finding anyone who could help me with this last year, but no joy sadly. 

I am an illustrator and I use Photoshop to print from to an epson printer. I use a mac and I set PS so that it will print a certain ICC profile and photoshop managing colours etc. It prints almost 100% of the time true to colour without me having to do any tweaking in photoshop. 

I have tried to replicate this in AP but to no avail. I have wasted a lot of paper doing this and it is very frustrating! I want to drop photoshop and LOVE Affinity (publisher is great) but can't seem to find out what is going wrong here. When it prints out with the same ICC profiles on AP the print is washed out and dirty looking, completely different to how it should look. I have looked for help on youtube, i've looked through these community discussions but there don't seem to be any answers at all. Can I contact Affinity directly? It feels like with AP it feels more over complicated (if possible) than PS. 

Any help would be AMAZING, thank you!

• Staff

Hi @Umalum,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

Affinity manages colour different from other applications, such as Photoshop - which is why you might be seeing different results from these applications.

Please check out the below article on Colour Management in the Affinity suite, and do let me know if you're still having trouble here.

https://affinityspotlight.com/article/display-colour-management-in-the-affinity-apps/

Many thanks :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

47 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Hi @Umalum,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

Affinity manages colour different from other applications, such as Photoshop - which is why you might be seeing different results from these applications.

Please check out the below article on Colour Management in the Affinity suite, and do let me know if you're still having trouble here.

https://affinityspotlight.com/article/display-colour-management-in-the-affinity-apps/

Many thanks :)

Thank you Dan!

Unfortunately I followed the instructions here re RGB etc and it's still doing the same thing. Previously I had tried by setting up the same ICC profiles as I do in Photoshop (I do not have a calibrated screen) and it came out the same. Basically washed out and too black. You can see on the left is the scan that I normally print and on the right the print from AP. It prints exactly like the pic on the left when I use Photoshop without any calibration and with the correct ICC profile for the paper I'm using. 

What is the difference in the two, what 'magic' is PS doing that Affinity does not do? I love Affinity but this whole printing situation is absolutely hair-pullingly frustrating. I don't really want to shell out for a calibration device and then find that this does the same thing and I've spent X amount on a device and AP is still producing off-colour prints. Obviously I'm 'shelling out' on being subscribed to Photoshop but I know it works and I'm nervous of the calibration thing not working too. 

From the article you say that it's best to have screen calibration, but it doesn't make it clear to me whether it's possible to print without calibration? 

Screenshot_2020-11-25_at_10_57_20.png

1 hour ago, BofG said:

@Umalum what is the exact ICC profile you are using?

Of course now I can't upload photos for some reason! But the above print was produced using the suggestion in the article which was, i believe, this: sRGB IEC61966-1.1

The ICC I have used before (with the same washed out results) is the one I use in PS without issue and that is this: Innova_Epson-SC-P600_IFA14(VFAP)_MK_1440 - and that is for the specific paper I use. 

Hi again,

It's just the print that looks off, they look the same within the apps.

Yeah both programs are showing the same profile (the sRGB one). 

I haven't seen where to change the managing colours option on Affinity. I have always told PS to manage colours (rather than printer). 

It's so frustrating as I can't add photos now to these comments (no idea why that is, it just says queued below). 

Where do I see colour management within Affinity? With PS it shows up when i start to ask it to print and it is shown in a drop down on the dialogue box for printing. This doesn't seem to be an option within the print dialogue box on AP

Thank you for helping me out here, I really hope we can get to the bottom of it! 

Printer drivers offer usually generic shared options, most apps reuse. You should be able to set the printer driver to ColorSync mode and assign your profile then there. See this video around min 7 and up ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

17 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Printer drivers offer usually generic shared options, most apps reuse. You should be able to set the printer driver to ColorSync mode and assign your profile then there. See this video around min 7 and up ...

Thank you, yeah I have seen that video and it was the one I used to try to get it to work first time round (whenever it was I bought the app). It didn't result in there being good prints, all washed out/black etc like the above one. It's looking more like I will need to just keep using Photoshop which is a shame. This video also recommends getting a calibration device for the monitor, which IMO shouldn't be necessary if I'm already getting great and colour perfect prints using PS. 

Thanks for trying to help though! 

• Staff

@Umalum apologies for the delayed reply here!

On 11/25/2020 at 3:12 PM, Umalum said:

I haven't seen where to change the managing colours option on Affinity. I have always told PS to manage colours (rather than printer). 

With the Print dialog open, select 'Range and scale' - 

image.png

In the list that opens, select 'Colour Matching', here you should find options for your profile, and to choose if ColourSync or your Printer handle the colour matching.

On 11/25/2020 at 3:53 PM, Umalum said:

Ok so i've found something - it says 'colour matching ColorSync' and 'profile 'automatic' - now it's letting me add a pic 

184793700_Screenshot2020-11-25at15_52_17.thumb.png.d43e4d81d76aa3b9c8f5a9caa50cc797.png

This is simply the Print Preset manager, each preset will have a list of the settings that will be applied, if you choose that profile. You can't change any of the print settings from here, and these are generated by your printer, so I recommend leaving this as 'Current/ Default' - unless you usually use a specific printer profile.

On 11/25/2020 at 11:03 AM, Umalum said:

From the article you say that it's best to have screen calibration, but it doesn't make it clear to me whether it's possible to print without calibration? 

I can absolutely confirm that a calibration device isn't required, and should be considered as an 'extra'.

On 11/25/2020 at 1:34 PM, Umalum said:

using the suggestion in the article which was, i believe, this: sRGB IEC61966-1.1

Thanks for confirming that - is your document in 8bit or 16bit in Affinity? What about in Photoshop?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi Dan, thanks so much!

Ok, so my document was in 8bit - should it be in 16bit? It is in 8bit on PS (I hadn't even thought about that at all and didn't know and had to check!). 

I tried clicking on range and scale but for some reason it is not letting me click on it. I might need to do the old turn off and on again and see if that helps!

• Staff

That's such great news @Umalum, many thanks for letting us know! :)

Please note -

Many thanks!