You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Black Friday Event 2020

Patrick Connor

On 12/4/2020 at 4:46 PM, Patrick Connor said:

Affinity Publisher Workbook was written to be correct for 1.9 

Publisher 1.8.x has a very few bits of the user interface that are slightly different to the workbook but none of the workbook cannot be followed in 1.8.x and 1.9.0 will be out soon enough. So the workbook is actually a small amount ahead of the software, but not significantly, we checked!

Photo and Designer workbooks are updated whenever we run out of stock. They are both correct for 1.8.6 and all of the tutorials can be followed in 1.9.0 though the user interface and shortcuts sections will be tweaked when a new print run is made, to reflect the minor changes that are rolling out.

Workbooks demonstrate techniques. They are not user guides explaining ever function, they are more like tutorials. What you learn will last you years and doesn't change just because the software gets a few improvements.

I'm new to Affinity Photo and I'm very pleased with the Workbook. It is excellent quality, extremely comprehensive and Im already starting to learn a lot from it. There is nothing quite like a physical solid book in your hands to learn a new subject and who doesn't like the smell of a new book !

The book is worth having for the quality cardboard keyboard shortcuts alone. Anybody having any doubts at all should just bite the bullet and purchase one, I don't think you will be disappointed. 

4 minutes ago, malayali said:

Are there advantages to Affinity workbooks comparing to video tutorials?

Yes, you need no electricity reading them. You do not have to stop, rewind, play again etc. Perhaps you have problems understanding the person in the video tutorial.There are for sure some more pros for a book over a video ... and cons of course.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

8 hours ago, malayali said:

Are there advantages to Affinity workbooks comparing to video tutorials?

Depends on the video tutorial.

Many of the Affinity made video tutorials are great.  However, most seem to be more in the context of a particular function.

The workbook walks you through steps of an entire project that touches on many "functions."  When you consume video tutorials you are frequently having to piece things and ideas together for yourself.  There is value to both approaches and I think they compliment each other.

The book may outline a few steps for a particular tool...that might open your eyes for a more indepth search on what all that tool can do (which you might find a video on).  

Videos can also be difficult to skim through and have unwanted downtime.  I haven''t used the books as much as I should have, but there is value to them.  

I've learned things from video tutorials as well as the workbooks.  Why limit your knowledge with one or the other?  😀

I think the book chapters are more similar to a 3rd party tutorial for a project (not how to use a particular tool or funciton).  Not all of those are as professionaly condensed and edited as what the workbook provides.  

• 4 weeks later...