You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer Layers

Hey Guys,

I’m trying to fit the chairs under the table so that on the right side you would see the back of the chair and the back legs, but the rest would be under the table. But it seems that whilst I can move these layers around to be visible, with the rest showing below the table as soon as I group the chair the layering is no longer respected. I really need the chairs grouped so I can easily move them around.

I hope I’m being clear with what I’m trying to achieve. Any ideas on how to have a chair that is grouped but with the layering showing correctly 

Conf Room.afdesign

8 hours ago, prophet said:

I don't think that's possible. Grouping puts things together in the same z-index, so you'll never get the table to "split" the group formed by the chair bottom and chair back. Z-index has to remain: chair back / tabletop / chair bottom.

That’s a shame, in my context it seems like such an obvious requirement. Oh well is what it is. A let down none the less!

11 hours ago, Ikikuru said:

Hey Guys,

I’m trying to fit the chairs under the table so that on the right side you would see the back of the chair and the back legs, but the rest would be under the table. But it seems that whilst I can move these layers around to be visible, with the rest showing below the table as soon as I group the chair the layering is no longer respected. I really need the chairs grouped so I can easily move them around.

I hope I’m being clear with what I’m trying to achieve. Any ideas on how to have a chair that is grouped but with the layering showing correctly 

Conf Room.afdesign 49.69 kB · 4 downloads

I feel you and can easily relate to your frustration. What you are asking for is akin to this:

1. Linking layers in Adobe Photoshop

2. Soft grouping objects in Xara Designer Pro

In these two programs, the linked or soft grouped layers will transform (scale, move, rotate, distort, etc…) together in tandem. As opposed to ordinary groups, these layers do not have to be in the normal stacking order, in fact, you can link or soft group layers from separate groups together!

Surely, this can be made possible Team Affinity.