You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

annoying problem with nodes

Hello everyone!
I'm trying out the trial version of the affinity designer and was excited to buy the app.
However, in a few hours working with him, I noticed a very irritating problem. sometimes when I try to drag and move a node, I can only move it on the second attempt.
This is something that happens frequently, making work a little stressful. Has anyone ever experienced this? Do you know if there is a solution?

At the beginning of the video you can see me clicking and trying to drag the node. And only get it on the second try

Welcome to the forums @wcostadesign
I’ve never seen this before myself but it might be something to do with how your layers are nested, and/or the type of layer selected.
Unfortunately we can’t see the selected layer in your Layers Panel.
Would you be able to scroll the Layers Panel to the selected layer (with the nested layers ‘opened out’) so we can see what you are working on?

• Staff

Hi @wcostadesign :)

I believe I know what's happening here, if you click on a node to select it, then click on a node again quickly to drag it, the app sees this as a double click and therefore doesn't move the node. You can test this by double clicking on any node and then dragging your mouse to move it - you'll see the node does not move.

If you click on the node once, wait half a second and then click again (long enough for it to be seen as 2 single clicks) then you should find you can move nodes as expected.

I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

4 hours ago, GarryP said:

Welcome to the forums @wcostadesign
I’ve never seen this before myself but it might be something to do with how your layers are nested, and/or the type of layer selected.
Unfortunately we can’t see the selected layer in your Layers Panel.
Would you be able to scroll the Layers Panel to the selected layer (with the nested layers ‘opened out’) so we can see what you are working on?

Thanks for your suggestion @GarryP . I don't think it has anything to do with layers because that also happens with new objects without layers. I did a test with what @Dan C said, and apparently it's really something that has to do with double-clicking 😅

45 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Hi @wcostadesign :)

I believe I know what's happening here, if you click on a node to select it, then click on a node again quickly to drag it, the app sees this as a double click and therefore doesn't move the node. You can test this by double clicking on any node and then dragging your mouse to move it - you'll see the node does not move.

If you click on the node once, wait half a second and then click again (long enough for it to be seen as 2 single clicks) then you should find you can move nodes as expected.

I hope this helps!

Thank you very much man! I think that's really it ..
Unfortunately I do this very often.😓
Is there any way to disable this double click block?

• Staff
41 minutes ago, wcostadesign said:

Unfortunately not that I'm aware of, apologies. I'll add this as a feature request with our devs, to see if it's possible and can be considered for a future version :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

46 minutes ago, wcostadesign said:

Thank you very much man! I think that's really it ..
Unfortunately I do this very often.😓

I do not experience this unless I double click really fast - that tells me that Affinity (of course) uses the system double click setting that I changed to a setting requiring a fast double click before it is recognized as as one.

Perhaps you can do the same?

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

5 minutes ago, Jowday said:

I do not experience this unless I double click really fast - that tells me that Affinity (of course) uses the system double click setting that I changed to a setting requiring a fast double click before it is recognized as as one.

Perhaps you can do the same?

Yes! This is really what I needed to do. Problem Solved! Thank you very much for the suggestion! 😁

5 hours ago, wcostadesign said:

Yes! This is really what I needed to do. Problem Solved! Thank you very much for the suggestion! 😁

Happy to help 🙂

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.