You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer: Export to PSD

Hi to all.

The conversion to PSD of an AFDESIGN file containing an effect, for example 3D, is particularly long (10 to 30 minutes), especially if the dimensions are large, in this case 11,000 pixels in 400 DPI, making this conversion impossible.

The result produced is of poorer quality with a text converted into an image, therefore pixelated.

Afinity Designer Bêta 1.9.0.852.

32.afdesign

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

56 minutes ago, Pyanepsion said:

The result produced is of poorer quality with a text converted into an image, therefore pixelated.

Text is always rasterized when exporting from Affinity in PSD format.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hi Pyanepsion
Unfortunately I'm unable to reproduce the export time - it exported in about a minute for me. What export settings are you using?

As Walt says, text is always rasterised when being exported to PSD - this is currently by design.

Hi Sean.

2 minutes ago, Sean P said:

text is always rasterised when being exported to PSD.

Yes, but this is a pity, because the function loses much of its interest.

Here are the settings used. I left them by default in PSD.

export-psd.01.png

export-psd.02.png

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

It was the wrong file.

Try again with this one.

32.afdesign

The processor utilisation rate is bordering on overwork between 75 and 99.8%. 2 cores 16 MO.export-psd-03.png.1c3fe975d19368b6f774e2540d1051ba.png

Please note that it is the PSD export with the filter (3D effect?) that slows down since if you save the file in AFDESIGN format, the saving is done in a much shorter time.

Yes and no.

• Possibly yes if we are sure that the file will only be used for export.
  • No here, because these are the French images of a book created with Affinity Publisher which will be published in a foreign language (English) in May.

Editions Hachette wants to have these francized images in PSD for an upcoming French version to be published in April.

The problem appears to be with the large orange rectangle which has a 3D FX applied

More specifically that FX has a profile applied to it

If you click on the Remove Profile button then exporting takes just over a minute

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.