You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I upgraded my Macbook Pro Retina mid 2014 to Big Sur and now when I right click the "Open with" menu it doesn't show Affinity Photo, Affinity Design, or Affinity Publisher. I had a flawless machine before the upgrade and now I am more than seriously considering a PC laptop or desk/tower computer. 

I would appreciate any suggestions, comments, or advice on purchasing Windows based computers, laptops or desktops. Starting over is always a painful situation but necessary at times. My Macbook Pro Retina hardware is still at at a level were I can run anytime I need. My Macbook Pro Retina is having the current black screen rebooting problem, something Apple didn't point out when Apple said my machine was 100% ready for the upgrade. 

Thanks,

Curt

Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 2.04.31 AM.jpg

• Staff
22 hours ago, Curt said:

I upgraded my Macbook Pro Retina mid 2014 to Big Sur and now when I right click the "Open with" menu it doesn't show Affinity Photo, Affinity Design, or Affinity Publisher. I had a flawless machine before the upgrade and now I am more than seriously considering a PC laptop or desk/tower computer. 

This is working for me on Big Sur.  What type of file are you right clicking on?  If you try this on an .afdesign, .afphoto or .afpub file, do they show in the 'Open With' menu then?

One thing you might want to factor in to your decision is that your macOS licences for the Affinity applications are not transferrable to Windows. You would need to purchase new ones.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

22 hours ago, stokerg said:

This is working for me on Big Sur.  What type of file are you right clicking on?  If you try this on an .afdesign, .afphoto or .afpub file, do they show in the 'Open With' menu then?

I use two fingers on a the touch pad for a right click and have been able to open jpegs, tiffs, and the program files for photo, design, and publisher. If a file opens in Affinity it would open with Open with also. Files that work with double click preview still work with Preview, but now the right click method shows a number of other Apps that can open the files, but as I found out Affinity Apps don't show up among the list. 

21 hours ago, h_d said:

One thing you might want to factor in to your decision is that your macOS licences for the Affinity applications are not transferrable to Windows. You would need to purchase new ones.

Purchasing the Affinity Suit for a Windows based system isn't a problem for me. Serif software is so good that I would purchase it at a higher price in a minute. 

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/24/2020 at 1:06 AM, stokerg said:

My files are .jpg, tiff, png files etc.. If for instance I right click on a .jpg icon and select Open With I get the list of some two dozen apps that will open it. Affinity Photo isn't on that list, the Nix Collection for example is there.  I would with need to go to Other, with brings up Applications, or Open it directly from Affinity Photo. It's a time saver to either single click and see the image or right click to open it in Affinity Photo. If the file is an .afdesign, .afphoto or .afpub  then it opens in the program as expected. 

It may have something to do with Big Sur or really anything that's configured. It was working before the update. It's not Affinity Photo, I just thought another may have had this problem or knew of a solution. On the grand scheme of things it's the least important issue right now. 

Thank you, 

Curt