You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Essential needs for Designer

Dear Affinity Designer Developers,

I've bought the entire Affinity Suite😁 and tried to switch with my workflow from Adobe, but yet Designer, for me, is still missing some tools. Oh, I'm based in Amsterdam and working freelance as an interior architect/architect/graphic designer...designing exhibitions/ experiences etc.

Missing essential functions;

• Tracing images;
  • More gradient tools like Illustrator (with pins);
  • Creating patterns the easy way (like Illustrator) and add them as swatches (even in Photo);
  • Isolation mode;
  • Free transform / distort;
  • More line types (like pattern line types);
  • Import DWG/DXF/SKP;

I know other freelance designers are really missing these functions in Affinity and keep them for switching completely, so please integrate these and I'm redeemed.

Thanks muchos in advance!

Pep

On 11/23/2020 at 8:51 AM, Pep75 said:

Missing essential functions;

• Tracing images;
  • More gradient tools like Illustrator (with pins);
  • Creating patterns the easy way (like Illustrator) and add them as swatches (even in Photo);
  • Isolation mode;
  • Free transform / distort;
  • More line types (like pattern line types);
  • Import DWG/DXF/SKP;

The problem is there's loads of similar posts based on this same topic - I kind of like having new Affinity pro users creating a fresh post rather than adding to one of the many - keeps our dreams and screams alive - as it still states on the Designer web page "just all the tools you need, implemented how you always dreamed. Affinity Designer is a stripped back, pro-end workhorse that will always get your job done."  not sure wether that's a little white slight exaggeration or a massive big fat lie (depends what I'm working on)  - probably best do a search for all the things listed in the bullet points separately - = Six years of workarounds?!?!?!?

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

"stripped back, pro-end workhorse" 

• Stripped back... indeed. Like WordPad for Word Processing.
  • Pro-end? Nah. And I think the market has spoken.

This is just city market marketing. It is not related to reality. But they do seem trying to escape the reality that Designer has virtually no vector features other than the most crucial.

Remember when Serif finally more or less fixed "Expand stroke" so it doesn't create a gazillion stray nodes? This is how they sold that fix that customers complained about for years:

Massive expand stroke improvements. Get incredibly accurate results with far fewer nodes than before.

image.png.8c74f50b4667e25ffa94bc6dbb71765d.png

Yep, but this work horse:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4jMvPqrSE1Utos5qDmh-

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

41 minutes ago, Jowday said:

Yep, but this work horse:

Jowday - reading your posts and comments gives me mixed feelings, especially when I've made a smarmy comment on a post that I later feel guilty about, usually posted after working on a job where I've had to use an awkward workaround, that would have been a taken for granted, piece of piss to pull off, 25 years go in Freehand 8.  

I'm guessing you must care where it's all heading deep down or you wouldn't be as active on the forum. sometimes I post a comment that's fuelled by frustration, then one of your posts land and it's like 😬🤣😮, admittedly, I do go off on a top moan from time to time but I do genuinely enjoy using all three apps professionally, it's just the brick walls that spoil my enjoyment as I've spent the past 6 years (very very (in-)patiently) waiting for  A few more of the tools I need - that will nearly always get the job done  

1 hour ago, Jowday said:

Massive expand stroke improvements. Get incredibly accurate results with far fewer nodes than before.

Just a simplify path option would suffice - which is another basic I've been moaning about since the birth of the forum

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

www.bingercreative.co.uk

22 hours ago, Dazmondo77 said:

I kind of like having new Affinity pro users creating a fresh post rather than adding to one of the many

So you like it when people break the rules only to fail to accomplish anything?

This thread actually manages to break all four of them (the first three by the OP and the last one by two of you):

• Please search first, it may well be that you have a suggestion that others also want. If so add your feelings to their thread.
  • If you cannot find your idea, make a new post. Try to keep your post as concise as possible, and for the title of your post to describe the request as best you can.
  • Please just do one suggestion per thread. If your post title is “Here’s a few ideas to improve Affinity Publisher” you’ll be asked to split them up.
  • Please understand we can’t possibly do everything which is requested, but we try to make the best calls we can in terms of prioritising our work. Constantly nagging or being overly ranty that we haven’t implemented one of your suggestions will not help your cause, and such posts will be deleted.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/52-feature-requests-suggestions/

Canada dry

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Much as I like the Affinity apps (most of the time), it must be said that Serif's Marketing Department has always seemed to live in an alternative reality, where they have different versions of the software to the ones customers receive. 😁

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

On 11/24/2020 at 9:20 AM, Dazmondo77 said:

…I kind of like having new Affinity pro users creating a fresh post rather than adding to one of the many - keeps our dreams and screams alive…

Adding a fresh post is fine. Creating yet another thread on the same topic is not. That just wastes the time of all forum participants. As does creating these grab-bag 'personal lists' of feature requests that effectively negate the basic organizational schema of a discussion forum in the first place.

JET

Canada wet

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk