You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Publisher] Need help on adjusting text leading

Hi folks,

I am rather new to Publisher and this line of work in general (I come from animation and graphic design), and I am encountering a few problems. The program works like a breeze, iti's probably me not knowing my way around. Anyway, most problems I manage to solve, but this one I'm at a loss... Maybe you can help me ?

So in the process of making a booklet I created a bunch of text styles, and that worked fine, except when I tried to change the "leading" property (in "paragraph") : at default inherited value the lines are too close together, so I tried incrementing the value, but the text only reflects the changes once the value reaches 15pt and at that point it's way too big. The same thing happens when I try specifying the value in percent : for some reason it suddenly jumps when I go over 70%. Here are two screenshots.

I would appreciate any... leads. :)

Cheers,

Hadrien

edit : the behaviour seems to be the same when using "leading override" instead.

edit 2 : leading changes happen at 70%, 140%, 210%... all multiples of 70.

leading_70pc.PNG

leading_71pc.PNG

Oh, THANK YOU ! I'm starting to play with its settings. Would you advise using it for a booklet ? or does it get in the way ? This particular booklet has quite a few images and text styles, and since the results are dramatically differently whether I check "use baseline grid" or not (I mean the setting located in the baseline grid manager), I'd rather make a decision right now and stick to it !

So many thanks.

It's a complex subject but if you make the baseline grid the same as, or an exact multiple of, the leading, then you can use it to align text, images and other objects.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

19 minutes ago, h_d said:

It's a complex subject but if you make the baseline grid the same as, or an exact multiple of, the leading, then you can use it to align text, images and other objects.

I understand. My minimum text size is 12, and that's for the body of text, so I set the baseline to 12. All other text styles being slightly bigger (usually 14), they jump an additional line when I hit return, thus creating a gap, which seems to work fine. I have to ship something in two days so I'll stick with that for the time being. Thanks for your advice !

Hadrien