You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hardware Acceleration is v. 1.9.0.852

@Vasto7

In addition to what @Chris B has written, I think your GPU driver is out of date.  The latest is 20.11.2

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

The 20.9.1 driver is the "Recommended" driver.  There is a newer driver (20.11.2) is still "Optional."

As far as what slows down.  I have not done an extensive survey, but have the following observations. 

Loading documents into both the Develop  and Edit personas is slower.  For example, loading the same 24 MB tif file took about 0.2 sec. for AP 1.8 and about 5 seconds for AP 1.9 (when accelerated). 

Moving between the Tabs (Layers, Adjustment, Effects, Styles) caused the program to not respond for about the 30 seconds.  These issue do not occur when hardware acceleration is disabled.  

Thanks

I'm running the 20.11.2 driver without any problems, on a Radeon R7 360.  Might be worth updating?

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

@Chris B and @emmrecs01

Thanks for the info.  I'm a bit hesitant to update to the 20.11.1 driver just yet, particularly since you are having no issues with the 20.9.1 driver and it seems to be running well with all my other applications.  What CPU are you running?  I am running a Ryzen 3700x with 32 MB of 3200 MHz Ram.  See full system info attached. 

Screenshot (8).jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Same for me, Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 7 1800X, GTX 1080, performance with HW accell is badbeta 1.9.0.876

image.png.21dc6a1081d8ea9a90a7f4a17dec7b53.png

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there!

I'm facing the same issue as @Vasto7. Compared with 1.8 the 1.9 beta with hardware acceleration switched on is significantly slower (probably at 30-40 % the speed of v1.8). As Vasto7's my system is powered by a Radeon RX 5700X as well (driver 20.11.2). Perhaps an issue with Radeon cards/drivers?

• 3 weeks later...

Now Running Beta 1.9.0.911 with AMD Driver  20.12.1 and still having the slow and lagging performance, particularly when loading files.  Unticking Open CL corrects the issue.  If I monitor my GPU, it is clearly being utilized.  However, it takes on the order of 30 seconds to load a raw file.  Once, loaded, this Beta version, seems less laggy than the previous versions, but I can't quantify this.

• Staff

Hi all,

I really am not sure what's happening. For me, OpenCL drastically improved brush performance in Affinity Photo. Is this with certain brushes? Do the ones in the Basic category work ok? I think there might be a few burhses than are not yet optimised for OpenCL—this will likely include user-installed ones from other sources. 

I wonder if you have other tablet drivers installed? We've seen issues where having Wacom and say, Huion drivers installed at the same time cause issues.

I have an Huion Tablet driver installed, but don't use the Tablet much in AP.  As I said, the most obvious issue for me seems to be loading files.  I would say this takes on the order of 10 times longer than when OpenCL is disabled.  Not sure how a Tablet driver would be having that effect.  Based on @VolkeMB comment above, it seems that this might be related to the AMD GPUs not being handled correctly in AP.  Hopefully, one of the developers can get their hands on a Radeon RX 5700X and see if they can recreate the problem. 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.