You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Despite thinking I had a pretty good handle on selections and masks, I find myself unable to figure out what I am sure is the simplest way to do something....

In the picture below, I have a bunch of shapes (as Groups, consisting of Curves), and an image which I want to drag across all the shapes and appear only within the hexes. Essentially, turn all the individual hex groups into a mask that reveals the image layer, while the rest of the board remains transparent. I can select an individual group and choose Selection from Layer, and I guess I could save that selection, and the one by one add each group to a new saved selection until I have a selection consisting of all the groups, and then turn it into a layer mask, but seems like there is probably a simpler technique.

2020-11-22.png

• Staff

Hi @CylonRaven,

My sincerest apologies for the delayed response here! 

I certainly believe there is an easier method using Clipping & Masking layers. Could you please provide a copy of this document, so I can provide an example using this?

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

On 11/22/2020 at 11:04 AM, CylonRaven said:

I have a bunch of shapes (as Groups, consisting of Curves), and an image which I want to drag across all the shapes and appear only within the hexes. Essentially, turn all the individual hex groups into a mask that reveals the image layer, while the rest of the board remains transparent.

How about if you select all the hexes then do either an add or a merge to make your mask?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

Go to the Layers panel, group the hexagons, drag the group and drop it onto the thumbnail of the image layer.

46D938A8-6086-4251-86C3-4D1FD3874CD2.jpeg

8F5AEC72-9C47-4200-AAA3-614842CED693.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

The great thing about affinity is how you can use any shape or pic as a mask plus it's dead easy to reposition if you want to rejig your composition rather than just rely on a standard layer mask

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

This is helpful, especially Dazmondo77's videos. But I got stuck right here:

dazmondo.thumb.png.10ac1848de373aae89af683a10bc00f9.png

How did you get the transparent hexes as a mask over the dog image?

Here are my layers after I dragged a filled rectangle under my groups like you did and "punched" through them with Subtract.

854001452_2020-11-24(2).thumb.png.d4a3f1fb6a8ddac43c470ca72c63426f.png

One problem I seem to have is that my hexes are not merely polygons. Each one is actually a group consisting of two polygons (an inner and outer hex outline) and an ellipse (a center dot). So I can't highlight the groups and subtract from the blue rectangle mask, I had to open each one and select just the outer hex polygon from each (using Ctrl+Click to multiselect). Is my only real option to use only single-polygon hexes for this?

I notice you are working in Publisher but switching to Designer to do the layer editing. Not sure if that made the difference.