You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Color Problem

Hi everybody,

since a few days I have a problem with my colors in Designer. For some reasons in my color palettes the colors are shown as they are in hue, saturation and brightness. But when I pick a color for stroke or fill the color brightness is way lighter, the color does not show as the one in the palette. All the colors are showing the same problem, no matter whether its a document, system or program palette. I added a picture where you see the color window that appears when double click on the stroke color ring. I seem to see only a part of the color area, there is not enough black or dark area. I have a feeling, that is has something to do with those numbers, -2, -1 and so on, but I only lets me change the number in the field middle bottom once, but it doesn't save. when I close the window I'm back at the lighter version of my hue. Next time I want to try to change this number, it wouldn't let my anymore but slip back to zero. I really need help!

Bildschirmfoto_2020-11-22_um_08_34_51.png

Welcome to the forums :)

Your problem is an ancient Affinity bug: when the document is RGBA, the Swatches panel is colour managed as if it has sRGB profile regardless of the document's actual profile. Only LAB defined swatches are presented reasonably correctly when the document's profile is not sRGB, and even that is not the case for a linear profile document.

The Colour Chooser window in your screenshot reveals that the document is 32 bits per channel, so it cannot have sRGB profile. It may have "sRGB (Linear)" profile, but sRGB is non-linear and so the appearance of colours in Swatches panel does not match the appearance in the document view.

By the way, do you really want a 32 bits per channel (128 bits per pixel) RGBA document? It seems more likely that you want an 8 bits per channel (32 bits per pixel) RGBA document.

(If you work with a CMYK document, then Affinity can render a specific colour with two, three or more different appearances in various areas of the app.)

Edited by anon2

4 hours ago, Jutta Schneider said:

Hi everybody,

since a few days I have a problem with my colors in Designer. For some reasons in my color palettes the colors are shown as they are in hue, saturation and brightness. But when I pick a color for stroke or fill the color brightness is way lighter, the color does not show as the one in the palette. All the colors are showing the same problem, no matter whether its a document, system or program palette. I added a picture where you see the color window that appears when double click on the stroke color ring. I seem to see only a part of the color area, there is not enough black or dark area. I have a feeling, that is has something to do with those numbers, -2, -1 and so on, but I only lets me change the number in the field middle bottom once, but it doesn't save. when I close the window I'm back at the lighter version of my hue. Next time I want to try to change this number, it wouldn't let my anymore but slip back to zero. I really need help!

First of all... Are you aware of this? You have created a 32-bit document. (RGB/32).

image.png.20188f9730ce1bcb170e44949c71a046.png

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

Perhaps it’s an idea for Affinity to make a guide option for users in they start with a new doc. There are so much checkpoints, you can oversee some of them. I have learned a lot of my own mistakes. It would make acceptation a lot earlier for new ones and also other users.