You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

EXIF not matching Lensfun

This isn't a question but a solution.  I have a couple of third party lens, Sigma and Tamron that Affinity Photo didn't automatically find in the lens database.  The lenses were in the database and I found them quite easily and was able to select them but I don't search like a computer.  

I found that the problem was that my Canon was recording the EXIF lens data a little different than the <model></model> element for the matching lens.  As a human I knew that C and Contemporary are the same but a computer program can't make that same correlation. 

If you are a little brave it is an easy fix.  

Get the latest Lensfun file from Github. 

The database folder "db" uses "mil-" for mirrorless cameras and "slr-" DSLR cameras.  Make sure you pick the correct type and brand.  For me I had to edit "slr-sigma" and "slr-tamron".

Edit the file(s) for each of your affected lenses using a plain text editor like TextEdit or Notepad.  Find the correct lens.  Pay attention to the crop factor.  You will generally find 3 crop factors per lens.  Make sure you edit the correct crop factor.  Change the name found in the <model> element to match what Affinity Photo has in the top bar.  It appears you don't have to worry about upper and lower case but if the model in the file is C but the EXIF data is Contemporary, change it to Contemporary.  On my Tamron lens I had to add Macro to the end and get rid of the F infant of the 2.8.

Copy all files into the "Lens Profiles" folder.  The easiest way to get there is to select "Open Lens Profile Folder ...".  On a Mac it will say "In Finder", on Windows it will likely say "in Explorer".  Copy or move the files you edited into this folder.

Relaunch Affinity Photo and open a raw file with one of your lenses that hasn't automatically selecting.  If you did it right and matched the EXIF data, and selected the correct crop factor, Affinity Photo will now automatically find and apply the correct lens profile.

This has already helped me in my workflow since I no longer have to remember to apply the profile.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, and thanks for the research and the instructions.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, srredbeard said:

Copy all files into the "Lens Profiles" folder.  The easiest way to get there is to select "Open Lens Profile Folder ...".  On a Mac it will say "In Finder", on Windows it will likely say "in Explorer".

Maybe I am just not looking hard enough but where does one find the  "Open Lens Profile Folder ..." item?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

12 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Maybe I am just not looking hard enough but where does one find the  "Open Lens Profile Folder ..." item?

image.png.b12d978b1358fcad9d0a2ed099975fde.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1