You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Find Whole Word Only has a limited idea of punctuation

Randolph

Finding a word using "match whole word only" is confused by colons. If you search for "word" using "match whole word only" and "word:" appears in the document it will not be found. Apparently the ":" (and perhaps other characters) are not counted as punctuation.

Affinity Publisher 1.8.6, MacOS 10.14.6

Happens in 1.8.5 on Windows, too, and also in the 1.9.0.850 beta.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, thomaso said:

It seems to work here in APub v184, with both activated / not-activated "match whole word only" I get this result

But you included the ":" in the search argument. The error is when you just search for "word" without the ":". That should work, too, as it would if there was some punctuation other than the ":" following "word".

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

But you included the ":" in the search argument.

I must have misunderstood the initial post which seems to include the ":" in the search:

5 hours ago, Randolph said:

If you search for "word:"

Indeed, with "word" only (= no punctuation) and active "match whole word only" the result varies and handles  :  different than  ,  .  -  !

1391635727_frwordnopunctuation.jpg.6fb955bd9889835a6f6cdae8d7c050a9.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

19 hours ago, Randolph said:

Ooof! My apologies. Yes, that was an error on my part. I have corrected the original post.

Well that gives a very different result. I even managed to not find it using a regular expression. The colon is really messing things up when whole word is selected. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 2 weeks later...