You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Mandalorian Character Fanart - Portraiture Series

sacboi

• 4 weeks later...

I always thought those guys are called IG-88 (?), at least that's what I named it for my assets collection ...

ig-88-drawing.png.7934c2adae66f329fab44bb94a037bb6.png

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

5 hours ago, v_kyr said:

I always thought those guys are called IG-88 (?), at least that's what I named it for my assets collection ...

I'm a tad OCD so to be sure in my own mind at least, I'd sourced not only the Disney+ credits when naming these drawings but also the SW wiki - https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/IG-11 although in my opinion what's in a name?! at the end of the day, it's the art that counts :) 

And your asset pack is an extremely detailed collection of content I've yet seen anywhere on the Net related to the series, kudos!

On 12/19/2020 at 8:28 AM, VectorVonDoom said:

A mixture of vector, raster and the original photo for the fur?

Specifically, the fur / hair is all manual editing, using a combination of grunge and chalk brushes scaled accordingly, essentially a 'paint over' which was the most challenging part of the drawing.

If I recall correctly, 15+ raster layers were generated to achieve the 'look' I was after, relative too the reference shot I'd screen grabbed from the video. So effectively, each separate element was initially blocked out using vectors, with only the eyes plus background remaining non pixelated curves in the final output whilst skin, hair, facial features & clothing texturing are drawn by hand using Persona brushes.     

1 hour ago, sacboi said:

I'm a tad OCD so to be sure in my own mind at least, I'd sourced not only the Disney+ credits when naming these drawings but also the SW wiki - https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/IG-11 although in my opinion what's in a name?! at the end of the day, it's the art that counts :) 

Jip that's right what finally counts is the art. - In my case I tried to name those assets after how they are usually called, though had sometimes difficulties to find the right ones then. Related to that droid I've found this entry here ...

The IG-series was a series of droids.[1] The InterGalactic Banking Clan maintained an army of IG lancer droids.[3] One model of IG was a set of five identical assassin droids[5] manufactured by Holowan Laboratories[1] during the final decades of the Galactic Republic.[6] Only moments after their activation, those robots slaughtered their constructors and escaped their laboratories to roam the galaxy.[5]One of them was IG-88, who functioned as a bounty hunter during the Galactic Civil War.[2]

... thus I thought "IG-88 = bounty hunter" or the like.

1 hour ago, sacboi said:

And your asset pack is an extremely detailed collection of content I've yet seen anywhere on the Net related to the series, kudos!

Thanks! - Though it's incomplete, there are still a bunch of series characters missing. But well you know, as the series continues always also new things keep popping up on the radar. 😉

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Ren De said:

Love the rich textures and colour scheme... Great work (again)!

Thank you.

I'm currently training hand/eye coordination while using this technique alongside tracing background references in order to build somewhat of a personal fluent workflow, drawing with solids/vectors. Because I find graphic tablets so counter intuitive, having transitioned across too CG from a traditional Portraitist background in wet and dry media so manipulating a mouse when generating content via a PC monitor, fairly straightforward approach, well for the moment at least 🙂

• 2 months later...
Update:

Still working feverishly away on finishing this set of vector/rasterized drawings.

Had initially thought, Din Djarin 'Mando' would be the easier illustration among the four to execute...silly me.

Anyway, we're almost there.

Mandalorian Armorer - "You must reunite it with it's own kind...this is the way!"

18_Mando.jpg

19_Mando.jpg

10 hours ago, PeterRex said:

Way to go @sacboi, paint me jealous!

That looks awesome, especially "The child"!

Thank you.

Really enjoyed the overall process experimenting with Persona pixel brushes, painting him as opposed to an entirely curves workflow, that personally I find a challenge in terms of time and effort involved. This current portrait has been in the works since Christmas 2020, for example.