You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Need help with drawing 2D analog gauges in Affinity Designer PC

Hi, to everyone , I would like to know how to draw 2D analog gauge like in the attachment below. I'm trying so hard to figure it out from start to finish for even one of them...no luck!  PLEASE HELP 

*Like how to draw outer rim or bezel of gauge with the tools and properly divide scale like of instrument also how to get it to look as real as possible, just like photo attachment....*

cessna_gauges.gif

1 hour ago, Everett774@ said:

Like how to draw outer rim or bezel of gauge with the tools

It sounds as though you want it to look 3D, not 2D. If you want to reproduce that grey outer edge at top left and the corresponding inner edge at bottom right, one simple way to do it would be to draw a grey donut, duplicate it and change the fill of the duplicate from grey to black, and then move one of the two shapes slightly to make part of the grey one reappear.

1 hour ago, Everett774@ said:

and properly divide scale like of instrument

Try the Cog Tool.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi, thanks for the reply, I'm a newbie....  I need instructions in affinity designer on how it gets drawn from start.to finish gauge.

Like  for instance what tools I need to use (to create same like attachment above.. 

step 1: Draw Background or base grey or black circle .

step 2: scale marks with numbers

step 3: add bent rectangle with a different color. like for yellow /red line of engine tachometer for instance!

step 4: Gauge needle (Reel Looking)

step 5: Outer gauge Rim(bezel).

Spend some time to become familiar with the parametric shape tools: the Ellipse Tool for circles, the Cog Tool for dial markings, and the Donut Tool for ‘bent’ rectangles.

Step 1: Drag out a shape with the Ellipse Tool, holding down the Shift key to constrain it to a circle.

Step 2: As step 1, but using the Cog Tool. The default settings will give you a basic gearwheel, but with suitable tweaks (experiment!) you can separate the teeth and make them thin enough for use as dial markings.

Step 3: As step 1, but using the Donut Tool. Adjust the start and end parameters to give you an arc with the desired position and length, and use the controls in the Colour panel or the Swatches panel to apply the desired fill.

Step 4: Start with a triangle or two. You can either tweak a new node added to a single triangle after converting to curves, or Boolean ‘Add’ two triangles.

Step 5: Either use a filled donut (as suggested in my previous post) or use an unfilled ellipse with a wide stroke of the desired colour.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Hi guys I used the cog tool but how do change size of any of the lines from the cog or little tick mark rectangles to smaller size because they are all the same size to smaller sizes between 1& 2 & 3 ect which has 4 smaller tick sizes between 1&2&3 also how do I make what I have drawn more real or life like and also how do you make numbers for perfectly around the tick marks ?
 I have attached bellow what I have so far bellow

82F1C18D-DDCD-462F-A572-4657A80C7D5E.jpeg

Make a series of strokes for each size, all perfectly superimposed, you can directly enter the number you want for each size (360/x) or draw the same number for each and then delete the unnecessary strokes to keep only those that should be displayed.
In my example I have three series of strokes:
Small green, medium red, large black.

2020-11-22_152525.jpg

All the various informations for how to possibly do such things, are shown inside both threads I referenced above!

Another possible way would be using text on path (I & i etc.) as tick marks and change character distance, height etc......

Though the best and most accurate common way is, to do these things always instead via some small SVG scripting/programming!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2