You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Best place to start for beginners - Legacy videos?

Greetings

I am very experienced in Affinity Photo, but now am trying to give remote help to a few people who have recently purchased AP.   They have varying amounts of experience with Adobe products, but basically need to start at the beginning. 

My query is mainly about - the 92 videos, which at one point were renamed the Legacy videos and are found in a few places, including Affinity PHOTO: Video Tutorials (miguelboto.com)    Are all of them still valid, eg some things will have changed and presumably some of the  originals are no longer as useful (or indeed valid?) for use in Version 1.8.5. ?   

How much confidence can I have in getting these newbies to access and learn from these particular videos?

Jafa - Just Another Fantastic Aucklander

(Jim)

Windows 11

Affinity Photo 2.4

Lightroom 6

Nik Collection and Topaz Denoise AI

Intel Core i7 9700K @ 3.60GHz    32 °C
Coffee Lake 14nm Technology

Confidence from them?

Confidence with the reliability of access, i.e they will always be there?

Use Vimeo, Bitchute or Youtube and make video’s yourself that are simple and concise on a variety of basic actions in Affinity Photo, say, no more than 10 mins long. You could have sections focusing on Tools, Filters, the UI, make them as basic as possible.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

From looking at a few of them, they seem fairly basic and the basic concepts don't really change that much. But, as GarryP says, you really do need to have a look at them to see which ones to recommend to others. 

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Ah, just to expand a bit.  There are a group of 8/9 of us meet every Thursday to practice Affinity Photo, here in Auckland, three of us take turns in tutoring.  However, the few I mention are not able to attend and therefore have to take responsibility for their own learning.  Nevertheless, in saying I am trying to "help" them, this is by way of guiding them, not tutoring.  I have viewed the great majority of the 92 videos in my earlier days, but that was quite a while ago.  Having a lot of commitments,  I am not keen to view all 92 again, for this purpose, but just seeing if anyone knows how useful they are in the present, given that Affinity Photo is constantly evolving.  

Paul's comment is that the "basic concepts don't really change that much" helps.   In addition, I am keen to know whether there are any areas where there has been appreciable change?  By areas I mean the likes of     "Selections and Masking";  "Corrections";  "Retouching";  "RAW developing";  etc.  I can't recall any, but then with the constant evolving, I find it hard to remember.  My best guess is that things have been added or corrected, rather than replaced.  Does this summary seem right to you?

Jafa - Just Another Fantastic Aucklander

(Jim)

Windows 11

Affinity Photo 2.4

Lightroom 6

Nik Collection and Topaz Denoise AI

Intel Core i7 9700K @ 3.60GHz    32 °C
Coffee Lake 14nm Technology