You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Print to PDF error --Affinity Design

I've designed an A4 poster which needs to be also printed 4UP to give four smaller handbills. I've had no problems in the past but am getting peculiar results now using Affinity Design 1.8.5.703. The left section of the print error screenshot included shows a portion of my design and the print dialog which look fine as does an export as a jpg. On the right side is a screen shot from a preview of the pdf file in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. Here the circular images, ellipses with a narrow stroke and bitmap fills, are peculiarly wrong with different parts of the bitmap fills showing outside of the clipping ellipses.

As an additional test I deleted everything from my design except the six bitmap filled ellipses. Two printed to PDF correctly (shepherds and wise men) but the others again show bitmap beyond the ellipse -- but curiously not all exactly as they were in the original poster design.

A simple 4UP workaround is to place four A4 jpg exports on a new A2 design, but I'd like to know if there is something I should have done to avoid the problem in the first place.

Thanks,

Carl

print error.jpg

ellipses only.jpg

• Staff

Hi CPC,

If possible could you provide the file in question so I can try some things at my end? If you don't want to post it publicly please let me know and I will provide a private link :)

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Callum

Happy to oblige, though sending a simplified design. As I've been testing (and testing and testing!) the issue seems to be the extent of the end stops used to adjust the scale of the bitmap fill. If they (or sometimes only one) go beyond the edge of the object being filled the result in the print to PDF file is a square or rectangle rather than the filled shape. Note: the problem has nothing to do with the 4UP format I was using -- single sheet A4 PDF print has the same issue.

The odd partial rectangles visible in the top right two images (nativity & annunciation) of my original poster design are due to partial covering by the 'Tidings of..." text group which is PDF printed as a single image rather than an individual curve per letter for the 'plain' text. When it is moved to the bottom layer then PDF print gives the four square / two round stained glass images like the lower picture in my original post. And yes, the two circles (shepherds and kings) have end stops within their perimeters.

The 'forum.jpg' image included here was prepared for a possible bug report. How to see the end stops on two images simultaneously is an exercise left for the viewer! : -)

Regards,

Carl

forum_test_design.afdesign

for forum.jpg

Here on Mac OS 10.14.6 and 10.12.6 I see the circular fills, rotated and enlarged correctly in the PDF in Preview and Acrobat DC.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.