You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have 469 large .psd images for which I want to make low resolution .jpg files.  I have tried twice and each time some of the images end  up being squeezed or stretched. The original images vary in size and aspect ratio.  Some are portrait, some are landscape.  What I have tried to do is set a macro to so that the width of any height of any image is reduced to 240 pixels with the Height and Width locked.  This only seems to work properly on images having the same H:W ratio as the one open when I record the macro.

Is there any solution to this in Affinity?  I am fairly certain I did this numerous times in Photoshop before I switched to Affinity.  

I am running Affinity 1.8.6 on Mac OS 11.0.1.

Thanks

Edited by RichardPatterson

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

It's very difficult to do that with macros, because the obvious approaches all remember the actual dimensions, and will cause distortion as you noticed.

But you don't need to use a macro. Just specify a width of 240 px directly in the batch job parameters, and leave the height unspecified. Leave Preserve Aspect Ratio (A) checked, and it should just work.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I ran a batch that converted all the images to .jpg and resized them all to 240 high while preserving the aspect ratio.  Now my problem is that the images are 1200 dpi and I need to use them in a data base which now sees them as so small as to be unrecognizable.  I need to change the dpi to 72.  I have tried several times running a batch with a macro which resets the dpi without resampling the image, but it seems to alter the aspect ratio of the some of the images for reasons I cannot fathom.  I admit to be very confused by all this, but surely a macro to reset dpi without resampling should not alter the image aspect ratio.

Edited by RichardPatterson

32 minutes ago, RichardPatterson said:

I have tried several times running a batch with a macro which resets the dpi without resampling the image, but it seems to alter the aspect ratio of the some of the images for reasons I cannot fathom.  I admit to be very confused by all this, but surely a macro to reset dpi without resampling should not alter the image aspect ratio.

No, it shouldn't. But sometime after 1.6 a bug crept in that causes that to happen when you record a macro. Check the thread below for some macros that should work:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1