You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to remove people in the background of a photo

Here are pictures taken at my retirement party. In one photo, two guys are talking and there is a guy in the background eating pizza. How can I remove the guy eating pizza using Affinity Photo? I can crop out the other people in the background. I want to do a similar thing with the other photo, just leaving the guy in the foreground with the red shirt and blue vest.

Thanks,

Don

PA250057.JPG

PA250098.JPG

Rather than removing the background, it's sometimes easier to remove what you want (with the selection brush) and put that on a new background.

lostpizza.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

To create the cut-out, you just use the Selection Brush Tool, then hit the Refine button to further tweak the cut-out (if needed) then set the Output in the Refine Selection dialogue screen to New Layer.

There are various Affinity and YouTube videos on how to use the Selection Brush Tool if you have not used it before

Once you have the cut-out on a new (transparent) Layer, it's just a case of finding a suitable background and putting it behind the cut-out layer.

The "busier" the new background is, the less accurate your cut-out needs to be, as imperfections are more likely to show up on plain backgrounds.

As far as this image is concerned it would be classed as easy.

The first image is more tricky but still doable with a bit of extra cloning or creative thinking so that would be classed as medium.

I have attached the APhoto file (for the second image) so you can see the Layer structure

No time to have a go at the other image today as me and Dog have other plans.

lostpizza.afphoto

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

On 11/21/2020 at 5:22 AM, paintitblack666 said:

It seems that removing the two guys in the foreground in the other photo would be a little more challenging

Just a quick edit on the first photo to show some reconstructive surgery on the guy on the right

paperplate2.jpg