You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Add a gradient to an existing mask

Hi,

I have an image with a peacock as the subject with busy tree/bushes in the background. I want to select the peacock and the ground around its feet to keep them in focus, and blur the rest of the background. I am selecting the peacock using the Selection Brush Tool. I want to select the ground around its feet. In Photoshop, it allows you to add a white to transparent gradient on top of the existing selection. When I try to replicate the same in AP, the gradient replaces the original selection. Is there a way to add the gradient, rather than replace the original solution?

What I do, Cacophonix, is to make the gradient on a new layer (any adjustment layer) first.  Then I add the selection to that layer.  Finally I paint in black over the selection.  Works a treat.

Jafa - Just Another Fantastic Aucklander

(Jim)

Windows 11

Affinity Photo 2.4

Lightroom 6

Nik Collection and Topaz Denoise AI

Intel Core i7 9700K @ 3.60GHz    32 °C
Coffee Lake 14nm Technology

I'm not sure I follow. Here's what I think your workflow would look like:

1. Make selection of subject (peacock), isolate to new layer

2. Add any adjustment layer, curves, for example. Make no adjustment.

3. Add a mask to adjustment layer and add required gradient to that mask

4. Confused after this step. What do you mean by "add selection and paint black"? 

Edited by Cacophonix

Further, it is (in a sense) backwards to add the gradient first. The way I would want to do is to select the peacock, isolate it to a new layer. Then I would blur the background and then decide how much of the rest of the foreground needs to be brought back into focus. Hence the additive gradient.

Would you be willing to share a test image with me with your steps? Thanks.

Edited by Cacophonix

On 11/20/2020 at 5:22 PM, Cacophonix said:

In Photoshop, it allows you to add a white to transparent gradient on top of the existing selection. When I try to replicate the same in AP, the gradient replaces the original selection.

In AP a gradient can be applied into a selection, the selection, if not dismissed, will be preserved between switching layers. Further you can save and reload a selection or take one over from another layer. - Gradient on a selection ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 hour ago, v_kyr said:

In AP a gradient can be applied into a selection, the selection, if not dismissed, will be preserved between switching layers. Further you can save and reload a selection or take one over from another layer. - Gradient on a selection ...

Thanks for the response, but my question is a little different. I don't want to add a gradient to the selection. I want to add it in addition to the selection. 

Step 1 - make a selection of the duck and add a mask to isolate it

Step 2 - add a gradient to the mask to select other areas (outside of the duck)

Hi @Cacophonix, have you tried adding a mask to your mask? Adding a plain mask to your subject mask then adding the gradient to your new mask might give you the result you are after.

You can combine the masks by selecting one and creating a spare channel, then select the other and create a spare channel. Right click the first spare channel and choose Load to Pixel selection, right click the second spare channel and choose Add to pixel selection, create a new mask with this combined pixel selection.

1189492095_MaskingAMask.png.479940426dace659e5c46b9ff3aac09a.png 

Hi Cacophonix

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, but have been busier than normal.  Since Murfee's suggestion works for you, then you might not need this.

1. First, I make a selection, in this instance would be the peacock.
  2. Save the selection as a spare channel
  3. Next, choose   -  Layer > New Live Filter Layer > Blur > Gaussian Blur
  4. Add the gradient on this adjustment layer from white at top stop to black at bottom stop.  Adjust as necessary with the slider.
  5. With the Adjustment Layer only still selected,  I load the selection from the spare channel
  6. Make sure that the primary colour is black
  7. Paint the selection by using either the Flood Fill Tool or the Paint brush Tool (the latter seems to work best - using a big brush).
  8. Voila!  The Blur Filter has its own mask, which ensures that the peacock is not affected!

Depending on the number and type of layers, I may not even need to save the selection as a spare channel, because I can conjure it up by either "Reselect"  or in another way.

Jafa - Just Another Fantastic Aucklander

(Jim)

Windows 11

Affinity Photo 2.4

Lightroom 6

Nik Collection and Topaz Denoise AI

Intel Core i7 9700K @ 3.60GHz    32 °C
Coffee Lake 14nm Technology

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2020 at 3:37 AM, Cacophonix said:

@Murfee thanks that does work. It's not the most convenient workflow in the world, but it works. 

Don't mention "Affinity" and "Workflow" in one sentence .... That's been a nightmare in so many areas from the beginning on despite the fact that the competition shows how it could be done ... it's a feature and not workflow based product. By the time I realised that many things are possible if you are willing to accept that it just takes 10 times more steps than in other programs and some workarounds ;-)

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com