You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Image banding in Affinity Photo

Dear all,

Here  I made a new screen shot with enlarge 200% in Affinity Photo apps, now the screen shot I attached without crop.

*Open by Affinity Photo 1.8.5.703

200% open by Affinity Photo 1.8.5.703.jpg

*Open by Affinity Photo Beta Version 1.9.0.852

200% enlarge with Affinity Photo 1.9.0.852.jpg

With Affinity Photo Beta Version 1.9.0.852 there is more gradation/artefact  in colours, and open with Affinity Photo 1.8.5.703 less colour gradation/artefact even not smooth when open with Lightroom.

Please investigate it for this phenomenal and waiting the solution.

Best regards,

I append here the three images cropped and displayed at 100% of the original images. I can see, as I wrote earlier, that the AP 1.8 shows the banding and the other two do not (although the 1.9 image hints at it). Ideally I would have been starting with either a 100% zoom screenshot or the original image.

AP1.8:

AP1.8Crop.jpg.d64cdbc949c691a6a5497bcdf1c5b0a2.jpg

AP 1.9

AP1.9Crop.jpg.89f5110a7e7c40f24a78546b8b18b8fe.jpg

Lightroom

LightroomCrop.jpg.9818a02718e02cbc3899acd259aa6939.jpg

JOhn

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

1 hour ago, John Rostron said:

I append here the three images cropped and displayed at 100% of the original images. I can see, as I wrote earlier, that the AP 1.8 shows the banding and the other two do not (although the 1.9 image hints at it). Ideally I would have been starting with either a 100% zoom screenshot or the original image.

AP1.8:

AP1.8Crop.jpg.d64cdbc949c691a6a5497bcdf1c5b0a2.jpg

AP 1.9

AP1.9Crop.jpg.89f5110a7e7c40f24a78546b8b18b8fe.jpg

Lightroom

LightroomCrop.jpg.9818a02718e02cbc3899acd259aa6939.jpg

JOhn

Yes clear John with Affinity Photo 1.9 there are more colour artefact compare with AP ver 1.8 and Lightroom... so it's better waiting the information for it.

2 hours ago, Lagarto said:

The color cast that I now experience is pretty much identical as in @HANDJOJO's post (showing a screenshot from Photo beta), but I can experience the same both in the release version of Photo (Windows, 1.8.5.703) and the latest Windows beta.

I found a way to induce the reddish colour cast on my Mac: use "OpenGL" instead of "Metal" for Display in the Performance section of the app's preferences.

Current macOS retail 1.8.6 and beta 1.9.0.204 behave the same for me.

Hi All,

I appreciate you guys looking into this. Most of it, I'll admit, is over my head.
I've never really understood colour profiles or know which ones I should be choosing. Is the poor banding issue, colour casting and apparent low bit depth display of 16 bit images, something I should report as a bug ? Or do you think Affinity already know about it, and have it on their top do list ? 🙂

13 minutes ago, Gaz said:

[...] something I should report as a bug ? Or do you think Affinity already know about it, and have it on their top do list ? 

If you can find an existing bug report for this issue, then add to that thread.  Otherwise, a new thread should be started in the appropriate bugs forum. I intend to report this mess for the macOS software, anyway, but you are welcome to post, of course.

8 hours ago, Lagarto said:

the problem only happens in Affinity Photo when opening this kind of a 16-bit linear color space image, and can be fixed by assigning another color profile, or converting to 32 bpc color mode.

That removal of the extreme banding in the document view by doing either of these things is explained in a post I made earlier, but note that simply assigning a non-linear profile (for example, Adobe RGB) to the linear data in the 16 bpc document will also necessitate a gamma adjustment (for example, 1/2.2) to restore the appearance of the gradient.

On 11/20/2020 at 3:21 AM, Gaz said:

I'm outputting separate layers from Cinema 4D to composite within Affinity Photo. The images are RGB/16 and look perfectly fine when opened in Apple Preview. However when I open them in Affinity Photo I get very bad banding, ...

Just curious, what do users of Maxon's Cinema 4D have to say about this problem with the exporting?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

51 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Just curious, what do users of Maxon's Cinema 4D have to say about this problem with the exporting?

There is no problem with the exporting from C4D. The problem is in Affinity's displaying of the file. Affinity can handle linear imagery correctly in 32 bpc mode only.

On 11/21/2020 at 6:09 PM, John Rostron said:

I could readily see that there was more banding on the AP1.8 image compared with the others.

I see the screenshot of AP1.9 with a lot more obvious (more single steps) and additionally even colored (magenta) banding – don't you?

On 11/21/2020 at 6:09 PM, John Rostron said:

Which reinforces my point that the OP should have posted images captured at 100%.

To me each of the 3 screenshots tell their current 100% zoom level. (AP: 100%, LR: 1:1)

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

For composting work, it is probably better to export linear image files from Cinema4D in full 32bit and then work linearly in AP for the compositing, using OCIO to display the composite as gamma-encoded, for reference.

Kirk

I am curious ... could this be due to the LittleCMS open source component i Affinity not being able to render this better?

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

1 hour ago, Lagarto said:

Yes, sure, and thanks for those explanations. But I am now more concerned about the color cast part of this problem, and mentioned assignment only because it does not touch the pixels but removes banding (and it seems that along banding, also the color cast). This is an odd thing, which you showed is somehow dependent on use of OpenGL on macOS (or at least on your computer, as other macOS users have noted the color cast  when using the latest beta and the release version, which on the other hand you and I have not experienced).

I have not been able to find a similar feature on Windows that simply just allows turning off and on the side effect of color cast (even if it does not yet explain it), which worries me a bit as a possible indication about a problem with hardware or display color profile. (My earlier note on recalibration having made the color cast smaller however was wrong on another look; it did make reandering dark tones better but did not affect the color cast, the problem is just not as prominent at the part of the image where I focussed when creating the new screenshot.)  

I do not think the problem is your hardware or display profile. The colour cast in the darker tones is happening to you (Windows) only in Affinity and only when the integer document has a linear colour profile. The same colour cast happens to me (macOS) only in Affinity and only when the integer document has a linear colour profile and only when Affinity is not using Metal (instead using either OpenGL or Software) for rendering the display. In other words, it looks like there is something about using Metal which is preventing Affinity from wrongly colouring the darker tones in the display image.

10 hours ago, thomaso said:

To me each of the 3 screenshots tell their current 100% zoom level. (AP: 100%, LR: 1:1)

Yes they do, but the screenshots taken of these were then posted on the thread at a reduced scale making it more difficult for the visually challenged, like me, to discern the detail and especially compare images. I did it by downloading etc, but these are extra hoops.

Note, I use visually challenged, not in any PC sense, but to indicate that I am obviously not spotting things that others are doing.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630