You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo vs Adobe Bridge

Yes you will still need to use Adobe Bridge as your Digital Asset Manager (DAM) and Affinity Designer is a vector drawing app in a similar vein to Adobe Illustrator.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Adobe Bridge is more a "Digital Asset Management" (DAM) app, which helps to organize, cataloge and find photos and other media. Affinity Photo in contrast doesn't contain any DAM options and is more an photo/image editing and manipulation app. - Thus the two apps, Bridge and APhoto, should play good together here. - And yes, Affinity Designer is a vector image manipulation program in the sense of Adobe Illustrator.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

You have preview options with XnViewMP and also GraphicConverter

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, Fixx said:

Only problem is that Bridge does not know how to display previews of Affinity files..

Create an image stack in Bridge, see ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Thank you all for your feedback, I do appreciate it. 

My problem is, that if I upgrade my Mac OS, I will loose Bridge and Illustrator.  The reason I switched from Adobe products to Affinity, is that after years of devotion and thousands of $$$ to Adobe, they now want to nickel and dime you with creative cloud.  I for one, refuse!  So I will start looking for a DAM application.

Take care and have a wonderful holiday season!

6 minutes ago, Artzfartzy said:

"I don't now how much Adobe spyware is included"?

As I recall there is a need to register with Adobe, create an account, in order to use Bridge on its own. I do remember the ridiculous number of applications that would get installed by Adobe which had to do with keeping up to date regarding your Adobe applications. And those too needed to be updated, so "Spyware" probably refers to those things running in the background. It has been years since I used Adobe, other than Acrobat 'reader'.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 11/24/2020 at 11:06 AM, Artzfartzy said:

Thank you all for your feedback, I do appreciate it. 

My problem is, that if I upgrade my Mac OS, I will loose Bridge and Illustrator.  The reason I switched from Adobe products to Affinity, is that after years of devotion and thousands of $$$ to Adobe, they now want to nickel and dime you with creative cloud.  I for one, refuse!  So I will start looking for a DAM application.

Take care and have a wonderful holiday season!

The price for the Adobe is pretty much the same as pre subscription days. Of course it does not allow you to skip a version, I used to upgrade every 2 versions unless a customer came in and I needed the latest version. That being said the Adobe CC is a lot for your money, considering the amount of pro level apps you are getting for a reasonable amount of money if you are making your living with the software. They have also removed a lot of headaches dealing with a large user base using different versions of the software and not playing nice with each other. Now everyone has the same version and you never need to ask if you need to down save your file as a lower version.... save for a few hold outs.

I am assuming you are using Adobe CS5 as that is 32 bit software and Catalina is 64 bit only. I am holding onto Mojave for a while as I have some 32 bit apps I use regularly that have no 64 bit upgrade and would have me purchasing and learning new software. 

Thank you, and yes I am using (some) of CS5.  I used to make my living as freelancer, however I am retired now.  Although I still do art and photography for myself and friends.  Because I have upgraded my OS, I lost Photoshop, and Illustrator is hinky.  I also have to upgrade to Big Sur because my mac is acting weird.  Again thank you.

• 1 month later...

I have used Adobe for years but last year I had to get rid of it because I upgraded my OS and CS5 would no longer run on my system. I did not want to pay the $$$$$ subscription fee for newer versions so after looking around I settled on Affinity as my best alternative. Good features and excellent price. One area where it lacks is that I am unable to import large batches of raw files. The application becomes memory bound and slows to a crawl.  So what to do? I have used Adobe bridge for years to do sort my raw images and do some preliminary adjustments before sending the picture to Photoshop. 

After a lot of searching, and many trial and errors, I found "Raw Power" to be an excellent Adobe Bridge alternative that I am able to tie into Affinity. It is $29 at the MAC app store. I would prefer free but the coast is reasonable when you consider that once you buy it you can install it on all of your Macs. There is also a cheaper IOS version. It is fast, able to view large numbers of raw files, ties into Apple Photos if you are into that, or you can simply point it to a folder. The export settings will open the file in the photo editor of your choice, which in my case the choice is Affinity.

There is a trial version that allows you to play with it but it will insert an ugly watermark when you export. You have to download the trial version from their website which is:

https://gentlemencoders.com/

I suggest that you give it a try. 

BTW: I am in no way affiliated with Gentleman Coders, I am just a guy who wants to share a solution,