You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Which PDF setting renders body type the best? I regularly produce a 26 page brochure using Affinity Publisher. NONE of the AP PDF settings would render really crisp small type. The closest I got to an acceptable result was creating my own custom settings with No Downsampling. It is acceptable, but not really crisp (see the page sample I have attached to this question). I hate to say it, but the PDF renderings I used to get with InDesign were always crisp. I think that is because InDesign PDF's included a setting option to "Include All Fonts". What can I do to make sure all fonts are included with my AP PDF's? Is there something I am not understanding? Can anyone help me please? — FYI, I am using a MacBook Pro with 27" Apple display.

WW wText Sample.pdf

On 11/19/2020 at 3:27 PM, anon2 said:

Is the problem in the printed document or is it when the PDF is viewed in an app? If the latter, with which app are you viewing the PDF?

The problem is the latter (It only happens viewing the PDF on a computer screen. The printed copies are fine.) The problem is, most of the people who receive the 26-page document will most likely view it on their computer, rather than printing it out. To answer the other part of your question, I am viewing the document in Adobe Acrobat Pro (which is the default app that converts all my Affinity docs into PDF.) However, the entire 26-page document is emailed to WintersWilden's potential clients so they can view it on their own screens or print the document out on their own printer.)

On 11/19/2020 at 7:15 PM, Lagarto said:

An interesting and important observation. I think what happens here is that you have a CMYK document with K100 text which you then export to RGB for digital viewing. Affinity apps seem to convert K100 to something like RGB 30 30 30 (dark gray), depending on the underlying CMYK profile, while Adobe apps will produce pure black RGB 0 0 0.

It is obvious that dark gray text will look less crisp than pure black. Here are screenshots from regular and retina displays when outputting to digital use PDF from a CMYK document with K100 text:

Yes, it is a CMYK document, and here is the thing—The body type in this document is not 100% Black, but rather is supposed to render 70% Gray tone. So, If I understand you correctly, then the problem started when I selected K70, instead of rendering the type in CMYK numbers that would equate to K70. Is that right? And if so, what CMYK setting would render a 70% Gray tone?

On 11/27/2020 at 2:52 PM, Lagarto said:

Would it be possible for you to provide a sample .afpub document of a page that experiences this problem?

YES!—I have attached a single page that shows it best. Note in particular that the lower-case letter "a" in the body type probably reveals the problem best when converted to PDF.

WintersWilden_Brochure_ONE_PAGE.afpub

Lagarto — The attached magnified screenshot will show you what I am seeing. It seems to be happening only with the lower case letter "a" and only in the PDF file. The funny thing is, if I magnify this type in my viewer, (like you saw) everything looks normal. It is still a real puzzle to me. Maybe I have one or more incorrect settings either in my Affinity Publisher document or in Acrobat Pro?

screenshot_93.png

• 3 months later...
On 11/19/2020 at 8:49 PM, ABHULtheELF said:

FYI, I am using a MacBook Pro with 27" Apple display.

WW wText Sample.pdf 515.39 kB · 17 downloads

In 10.14.6 I can't make this issue occur. Neither in Acrobat Pro X nor in macOS Preview and in APub neither via Place + Passthrough or Interpret, nor via Open.

1012955799_heveticaneue-pdfpreviewzoom200.jpg.43296545f61ea662761322ddcacc76b3.jpg

543556226_heveticaneue-Openedzoom200.jpg.04633088b2072d0a6aad1e46a9296c86.jpg

I assume the issue is caused by your specific Helvetica font file(s).

On my mac Helvetica Neue is part of macOS system fonts (Linotype TrueType) but without "Condensed Light". Though I have also Helvetica Neue by Adobe (Postscript) its "Regular" appears to be named differently "55 Helvetica Neue". Furthermore according to the Acrobat property info in your PDF a TrueType, not a Postscript font is used.

Do you see the issue in the attached PDF? It is an export from your PDF after Opening it in APub. (the heading in font "NowDisplay" doesn't show correctly because I don't have this font):

WW wText Sample__Open–>Export.pdf

If you don't get the issue with this PDF you might check your font files (versions / dates). In 10.14.6 it appears to be version 13.0 of Linotype TT from 2019.
(and here it's Adobe Postscript for condensed light or alternatively 55 for regular)

2080197190_helveticaneue-macosLinotypeTT.thumb.jpg.9e75024f31c700bd3d2abe8d5f47e90f.jpg

359829732_helveticaneueAdobepostscriptregular.thumb.jpg.44cc90c2cca5c9882b0d3bd29eb6dc0f.jpg

14678257_helveticaneueAdobepostscriptlightcond.thumb.jpg.2a4752e3f9a2ed78d378f64c112f0fff.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1